• Counseling FAQs

    • What is counseling?

      Counseling is a way to help people as they face difficult life transitions and circumstances or painful emotions.

    • What are the benefits of going to see a counselor?

      There are countless benefits to seeing a counselor. They can provide you with the support to significantly boost your mental health, cope with stress and difficult life situations, and refer you to additional resources. Some of the benefits of going to see a counselor include:

      • Helping you get through a distressing situation faster and in a healthier way.
      • Coping skills to heal through current & future life situations.
      • Learning to manage stress, anxiety, etc.
      • Confidentiality: you can talk about a struggle or difficulty you’re experiencing with a professional, third-party outsider, with the security and privacy of a strict confidentiality agreement.
      • Determine whether you’re experiencing a situational stressor or a mental health issue – get a diagnosis, treatment, resources, and recommendations either way.
      • Prevent potential mental health issues from becoming a crisis.
      • Support for confusion on gender identity and sexuality issues….and much more!
      • We’re here to help.
    • How do I know if I NEED counseling?

      If you feel that you may not be functioning well either emotionally, socially or academically, I encourage you to make an appointment. I will do an assessment and can then offer my professional opinion on what route would be best.

    • Who is eligible to use the counseling center?

      Current HSU students are eligible to use the counseling center.

    • Do I need to have a mental illness to see a counselor?

      No. Anyone needing to talk about an issue causing concern or distress is welcome to see a counselor.

    • What will my counseling cost?

      The counseling is available at no cost for HSU students.

    • Where is the Office for Counseling Services located?

      2nd floor Moody, Room 213

    • How do I get started?

      Call, stop by, or e-mail the University counselor to make an appointment. Our number is (325) 671-2272. We are located on the 2nd floor of the Moody Student Center, Room 213.

    • Will counseling become a part of my academic record?

      No, your academic record is strictly a record of your academic history. Counseling Center files are confidential and kept separate from your academic record.

    • Do I get to choose which counselor I see?

      In order to balance the demands for services, scheduling, and presenting concerns, some students may see the University Counselor while some others may be referred to the Family Psychology Center to see a counselor in training. Your initial phone or in-person assessment will help us determine the level of services that are most appropriate for you.

    • How long will it take to feel better?

      Counseling Services offers short-term counseling, but try to be flexible since everyone will have different concerns and needs. Some students feel better after one session, while additional appointments are more helpful for other students. Counseling Services collaborates with students during the first session to determine what will work best for each individual given his or her current concerns. When it appears that a student’s needs would be best met by an off-campus agency, counselors also provide referrals.

    • What about confidentiality?

      The confidentiality of what you tell your counselor is protected by Texas health law, and no record of your counseling is made on academic records or job placement files. HSU Counseling Services will not share information (including if students have visited Counseling Services) with faculty, staff, parents, or other students on campus without your written permission. In rare circumstances (involving physical safety) there are a few limits to confidentiality. The details are provided to students in writing during their first visit to Counseling Services.

    • What if a student has a crisis or needs crisis counseling?

      If a student is experiencing a psychological crisis that requires medical attention, or is experiencing a psychological crisis of a medical nature (i.e. self- injury, overdose, medically unresponsive), call EMS and/or HSU Police immediately. If a student is experiencing a psychological crisis that does not require medical attention, contact the University Counselor at 325-671-2272 for an assessment.

    • How do I talk to a friend if I think she/he needs to see a counselor?

      Talking to a friend whom you’re concerned about can be difficult. The University Counselor can help you figure out how to approach the conversation and offer advice based on your specific situation. If your friend isn’t receptive to your suggestions, consider talking with a faculty or staff member, such as a professor, dean, or RA for further help. If the situation is urgent and you are concerned for their safety, don’t hesitate to call campus police.

  • A Princeton Review Best Western College
  • Council for Christian Colleges & Universities  
  • Center for Student Opportunity: Promoting a College-Bound Culture
  • US News Best Colleges
  • Military Friendly
  • college_of_christian_distinction_badge20172018
  • College Choice Best Christian Colleges and University
  • University and College Accountability Network