Fitness & Recreation
Fletcher Fitness Center is open, operating under summer hours! Social distancing guidelines are published below and will be enforced.
To ensure the safety of HSU Fitness Center and pool members, a new list of guidelines and updated policies will be enforced. Please know these guidelines are temporary and will change as the State of Texas alters guidelines for gyms, fitness centers and pools. Below is a listing of new policies that must be followed when entering the fitness center and pool:
- Capacity and facility protocols will follow the Texas Department of State Health Services Guidelines and recommendations.
- The Fletcher Fitness center will operate at 50% of capacity.
- Temperature checks will be required upon entry into the facility.
- At least 6 feet of physical distancing is required while in the fitness center
- Patrons must wash or sanitize their hands prior to entering the fitness center. Hand sanitizer will be available at the front desk.
- Patrons will be required to wear a mask when entering the Fletcher Fitness Center. Masks must stay on at all times, except when able to socially distance while exercising or during strenuous cardiorespiratory training on the following cardio equipment; treadmills, ellipticals, Stairmasters, bikes and rowing machines.
- Wearing a mask is required by the Texas Department of State Health Services while participating in group activities, and close contact sports that cannot socially distance. This includes but is not limited to the; soccer field, basketball courts, and other areas of the facility.
- Some equipment will be blocked to enable physical distancing.
- Patrons will be required to wipe down their equipment after each use with the provided cleaning wipes. Fletcher Fitness Center employees will clean/disinfect equipment after each use as well.
- Locker rooms and showers will be available. (Subject to state guidelines)
- If at any point you come in contact with someone who has contracted COVID-19 or develop signs/symptoms set by the CDC, we ask that you not visit the fitness center until you’ve been cleared.
- In an effort to limit contact, patrons will swipe their own HSU ID Card for entry to fitness center.
Our 35,000 sq. ft. Dr. Jesse C. and Dorothy J. Fletcher Fitness Center was completed in 2019 and is available to faculty, staff, students and alumni. Our facility features:
- Free weights and cardio equipment
- Matrix equipment
- Indoor soccer field
- Basketball and volleyball courts
- Pickleball and badminton
- Elevated track
- Outdoor patio and performance lab
Our front desk phone number is 325-671-2208.
Follow us on social media for tips and updates, and read our newsletter:
We’re always looking for great student workers in the fitness center. Go to Handshake to see our openings and apply!
Fletcher Fitness Center is open, operating under summer hours!
Hours of Operation
- Monday-Thursday 6 a.m. – 12 a.m.
- Friday 6 a.m. – 9 p.m.
- Saturday 9 a.m. – 9 p.m.
- Sunday 1 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Friday 3 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Saturday 9 a.m. – 9 p.m.
- Sunday 1 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Monday – Saturday 9 a.m. – 9 p.m.
- Sunday 1 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Monday (Closed for maintenance and cleaning)
- Tuesday- Friday 6 a.m. – 8 a.m. and 12 p.m. – 6 p.m.
- Saturday 12 p.m. – 6 p.m.
- Sunday 1 p.m. – 6 p.m.
To register for a membership, the patron should come to the HSU Fitness Center front desk and request to start a membership. In addition, the future member should be prepared to have the following documents:
- HSU Students, Faculty, and Staff Member HSU ID Card
- HSU Alumni: Valid Driver’s License or legal document with a Photo ID and proof of Date of Birth (DOB)
- HSU Dependent: Proof of age (i.e. driver’s license or birth certificate)
- HSU Spouse: Driver’s License
Student, Faculty, & Staff Memberships
Students are assessed a fee, which is included in their tuition invoice from Hardin Simmons University. Faculty/Staff receive a 1-year free membership to the facility as part of their benefit package 9/1/18 – 8/31/19
Once faculty, staff, and students have signed up for their membership, they will receive a Fusion ID Card. This card must be present to enter and have access to the HSU fitness center
HSU Alumni Memberships
To sign-up for an alumni membership, the patron must have earned a degree from Hardin Simmons University. Alumni will be able to sign up for a 1-year free membership (9/1/18 – 8/31/19).
HSU Fitness Center Guest Policy
HSU Fitness Center members may sponsor a guest following the requirements listed below:
- All members must show their Fusion ID
- Guest must be present with a photo ID and DOB
- Guest must be 18 years of age or older
- Guest pass is only valid for the issued
- Faculty, staff and students may bring up to 2 guests per visit. Guests will be charged $3 per visit (effective June 1, 2019). All payments must be made at the front desk by credit card, cash will not be accepted.
- Non-members are limited to 3 visits to any HSU UREC facility per semester
- Members must complete a UREC waiver
- Members must be accompanied by their sponsor during the entire visit.
- Members may use the basketball courts, fitness equipment, indoor turf, elevated track, and outdoor pool
- HSU member may rent spaces and reserve equipment for their guest according to the. UREC rental policy (please note that the HSU UREC member takes full responsibility for any damage to equipment or space)
- Guests of Members may not participate in campus recreation programs such as intramural sports, club sports, personal training, group exercise or any other additional activities provided by the university
HSU Family Memberships
HSU Faculty, Staff, Students and Alumni are welcome to bring their family household, including children during family weekend hours free of charge. Please refer to family hours listed under family facility hours.
All family memberships for the Fletcher Fitness Center and Pool will need to provide proof of dependency!
Family eligible for membership include spouse and dependents living under the same household with the same permanent address. In addition, dependents/children are not eligible for membership if over the age of 25.
Families must provide an updated proof of ID with the same permanent address for verification purposes.
Forms of Identification include:
- Birth Certificate
- School Report Card
- Driver’s License
- Adoption Papers (if eligible)
For further questions, please contact the Fletcher Fitness Center Front Desk at (325) 671-2208.
Families must abide by all the guest policies/rules. Please refer to HSU Fitness Center Guest Policy
Children 17 and Younger
- Must always be supervised by their sponsor
- Cannot have access to the free weights and cardio equipment due to safety reasons
Termination/ Suspension of Membership
- HSU administration reserves the right to terminate any active membership that staff deems to be creating an unsafe environment:
- Inappropriate supervising of a dependent
- Inappropriate behaviors (language, actions)
- The Fitness Center is limited to HSU students, faculty, staff, alumni, as well as, their families and guests.
- Check-in with your UREC Approved ID at the front desk to gain access.
- You must be 18 years old to participate without supervision.
- No food, tobacco, or gum is allowed in the fitness center.
- Water bottles beyond the front desk must be in a non-glass container with a resealable lid.
- No pets are permitted except for Guide or Service animals.
- You may not leave personal items lying on the floor. You must store all personal items in a day locker located in the locker rooms. HSU is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- All items of equipment that are rented out must be returned to the front desk before leaving the fitness center.
- The HSU fitness center staff reserves the right to ask people to leave at any time for inappropriate behavior or breaking the fitness center rules.
- All patrons must:
- Wear appropriate workout clothes
- Wear a full shirt
- Wear closed-toe running shoes
Thank you for your cooperation!
Swimming Pool Membership Fees
- 1-Day Pool or Guest Pass: $3.00
- Single Monthly Pool Pass: $25.00
- Alumni and Student Family Monthly Pool Pass: $75.00
- Alumni and Student Family Summer/Fall Term Pool Pass: $225.00
Brand Swimming Pool Summer/Family Hours
- Tuesday-Saturday: 12 p.m. – 6 p.m.
- Sunday: 1 p.m. – 6 p.m.
Learn to Swim and Lifeguarding
For questions about Lifeguarding Certifications or the HSU Learn to Swim Program, please contact Dr. Corrie Reed at email@example.com or visit https://hsuswim.wordpress.com/lifeguard-certification/
General Rules and Regulations
- Children younger than 10 years of age must be accompanied by a responsible adult 18 years of age or older.
- All pool patrons must be attired in a swimsuit. Cutoffs, others makeshift swimsuits, or thong bikinis are not permitted. Street-clothes and aqua shoes are not allowed in the pool area.
- All party patrons must enter through the fitness center entrance and sign a waiver to gain access to the pool.
- All guest patrons must enter through the fitness center entrance and pay a $3 fee. Card is only accepted, no other form of payment.
- Admission to the pool may be denied for any of the following reasons:
- Intoxication or under the influence of drugs.
- Evidence of contagious disease.
- Open wounds or sores.
- The facility supervisor has the authorization to request anyone to take a shower before entering the pool.
- Abusive or profane language will not be permitted.
- Any form of tobacco, alcoholic beverages, or drugs are not permitted in or near the pool. Smoking is allowed 15 feet or more from the pool entrance.
- Chewing gum is not permitted in the pool area.
- Food and beverages must be confined to grassy or shaded shelter areas.
- No sunbathing on the deck. Grassy areas and chairs are available.
- Glass bottles or drugs are not permitted inside the pool area.
- Horseplay is not allowed anywhere in the pool area or deck.
- Running is not allowed anywhere inside the fence of the pool area.
- Flips, turns, and twist, are not permitted anywhere and diving is not allowed in shallow water areas.
- Swimmers must stay off lane ropes, safety lines and lifeguard stands.
- Loitering will not be permitted adjacent to the pool entrance or cashier’s window.
- Normal diapers are not allowed, only “swim diapers” are permitted in the pool.
- Employees only are permitted in the office, filter areas, mechanical rooms and storage areas.
- Patrons are not permitted to use the office phone.
- Only U.S. Coast Guard approved floatation devices are allowed in the pool area.
- Animals are not allowed inside the pool area, except for those assisting the handicapped.
- Swimmers will not be allowed in water past shoulder depth unless they can pass the following swim tests:
- Jump (feet first) into deep water.
- Level off into a swimming position.
- Swim the width of the pool using any stroke.
- Demonstrate the ability to breathe while swimming.
- Facility supervisors may eject and suspend persons from the pool area for any violation of pool rules or any action determinate to the safe and orderly operation of the swimming pool.
- There will be a 10-minute brake each hour, in which only persons 18 years or older may swim.
Please obey the rules listed above because they are designed for your safety and the safety of others.
Pool Guest Policy
- Guest must be present with a photo ID and DOB
- All guest patrons must enter through the fitness center entrance and pay a $3 fee. Card is only accepted, no other form of payment
- Faculty, staff, students, alumni and approved HSU spouses/dependents (over 18) may bring up to 2 guests per visit. Guests will be charged $3 per visit (effective June 1, 2019). All payments must be made at the front desk by credit card, cash will not be accepted
- Non-members (guest) are NOT limited to the number of times they can come to the pool
- Guest pass is only valid for the issued day
- HSU affiliated members must be accompanied by their sponsor during the entire visit
- HSU affiliated members include the following: faculty, staff, alumni, students and HSU spouse/dependents
Pool Weather Policy
- If the temperature outside is below 45 degrees ambient (windchill or temp) then the pool will be closed for the day.
- If lightning is spotted within 8 miles of the pool, everyone will be asked to evacuate the pool for 30-minutes.
To book a pool party please stop by the front desk of the fitness center or call 325-671-2208.
Pool Party Policies and Regulations
- Pool party reservations are only available from 6:30 p.m.- 10:30 p.m. Tuesday through Sunday.
- All payments must be made by credit card, cash will not be accepted.
- All party patrons must enter through the fitness center entrance and sign a waiver to get access to the pool area.
- All patrons must reserve a party 2-weeks in advance.
Pool Party Pricing
2-Hour Time Slot- Pricing
- 1-25 people $75
- 26-50 people $90
- 51-75 people $110
4-Hour Time Slot -Pricing
- 1-25 people $150
- 26-50 people $180
- 51-75 people $210
If you have questions about reservations, please contact the University Recreation Department at UREC@hsutx.edu or contact the front desk of the fitness center.
Pool Party Cancellation and Refund Policy
- Must cancel pool party 10 days prior to reservation date for FULL refund.
- Between 10 days and 48 hours, there is a $75 minimum charge for cancellation of scheduled pool party.
- Full charge for pool party cancellation less than 48 hours before scheduled pool party.
Locker Rental and Renewal
Faculty, staff, and students may rent a locker by the appropriate semester. You can rent out your locker on the initial date listed and all items must be emptied out by the expiration date. Please refer to the semesters and the corresponding dates listed below.
- Fall 2019 (8/26/19-12/12/19)
- Spring 2020 (1/13/20 – 5/7/20)
- Summer 2020 (5/12/20- 8/6/20)
All semester lockers are $10.
- To reserve your locker, stop by the front desk.
- Locks are provided
- The rentals are based off “first come, first served”
- Lockers are not transferable
- NEW: HSU UREC is now offering a towel service for showering purposes. For $20 per term, you can check out a bath towel. When you’re ready to leave, drop your towel in the towel dispenser and get a new one each time you come.
- Group X Semester Unlimited Pass
- Faculty, Staff and Alumni: $35 for unlimited classes
- Students: $20 for unlimited classes
- Drop-In Classes: $3 per class
- All participants must have an HSU UREC Membership (Faculty, Staff, Student, and Alumni) to participate in a group exercise class
- Members must always check-in at the front desk of the fitness center before attending the class. When members check-in at the front desk they will receive a colored card. This card must be given to the instructor when entering the class
- Members will be asked to fill out a PARQ prior to attending their first class
- Fitness classes are available on a “first-come, first served” basis. Once the class reaches maximum capacity, members will not be allowed to attend
- If you are more than 5 minutes late to any fitness class, it is up to the instructor to allow members to participate. It is highly encouraged that you show up 10 minutes before class starts
- To see a full listing of our classes with descriptions please click on the Group Exercise Class Description Tab
- **All group exercise classes are subject to cancellation for University Holidays, emergencies, and weather restrictions. An email will be sent to all group exercise participants on cancellations
Come and try TRX, designed to target both upper- and lower-body muscular strength using body weight with overhead leverage TRX straps.
This class is designed to develop both strength and endurance through high-intensity interval and circuit training. Bootcamp-style fitness equipment is used to help participants obtain optimal performance.
Tabata is an interval-training class that involves 20 seconds of work, followed by 10 seconds of rest. The class is set up in 4-minute blocks. The class incorporates full-body exercises that require minimal equipment. This class is great for increasing your heart rate in a short period of time, giving you a great cardio workout. This class is great for people who do not have a ton of time to work out.
The barbell class is designed to build upper and lower body muscular strength using plate loaded barbells. The class will help teach participants basic lifting techniques and how to improve overall strength.
To foster lifelong learning and wellness, stimulate a Physical and Spiritual development to facilitate retention by providing recreation services to the students first, as well as the university community.
Hardin-Simmons University’s -University Recreation (UREC) will be recognized as a leader in recreation and transformational education.
1. Provide co-curricular programs and services that enhance the success of our students in a safe and diverse environment.
2. Improve the health and wellness of the campus community.
3. Develop and improve the Campus Recreation facilities.
4. Create outreach programs for targeted populations.
5. Improve knowledge and professional development of UREC staff.
6. Manage fiscal resources in a responsible manner
To effectively fulfill its mission and accomplish its goals, the University Recreation (UREC) provides, within the scope of its resources, the following:
- Opportunities for a variety of cooperative and competitive activities that will contribute to an individual’s physical fitness;
- Access to quality, contemporary and modern facilities and programs;
- A variety of programming including the major areas of informal/drop-in recreation, aquatics, intramural sports, sport clubs, outdoor recreation, and fitness;
- Coordination of the scheduling of events, promotion of activities and maintenance of campus recreational facilities to maximize facility use to better serve the campus community;
- Development of a medium through which students can develop leadership, management, program planning and communication skills;
- Extracurricular opportunities through participation and leadership roles designed to enhance social, psychological and physiological development.