Fitness & Recreation
Our 35,000 sq. ft. Dr. Jesse C. and Dorothy J. Fletcher Fitness Center was completed in 2019 and is available to faculty, staff, students and alumni. Our facility features:
- Free weights and cardio equipment
- Matrix equipment
- Indoor soccer field
- Basketball and volleyball courts
- Pickleball and badminton
- Elevated track
- Outdoor patio and performance lab
Our front desk phone number is 325-671-2208.
Follow us on social media for tips and updates, and read our newsletter:
We’re always looking for great student workers in the fitness center. Go to Handshake to see our openings and apply!
Hours of Operation
- Monday-Thursday 6 a.m. – 12 a.m.
- Friday 6 a.m. – 9 p.m.
- Saturday 9 a.m. – 9 p.m.
- Sunday 1 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Friday 3 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Saturday 9 a.m. – 9 p.m.
- Sunday 1 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Monday – Saturday 9 a.m. – 9 p.m.
- Sunday 1 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Monday (Closed for maintenance and cleaning)
- Tuesday- Friday 12 p.m. – 6 p.m.
- Saturday 12 p.m. – 6 p.m.
- Sunday 1 p.m. – 6 p.m.
To register for a membership, the patron should come to the HSU Fitness Center front desk and request to start a membership. In addition, the future member should be prepared to have the following documents:
- HSU Students, Faculty, and Staff Member HSU ID Card
- HSU Alumni: Valid Driver’s License or legal document with a Photo ID and proof of Date of Birth (DOB)
- HSU Dependent: Proof of age (i.e. driver’s license or birth certificate)
- HSU Spouse: Driver’s License
Student, Faculty, & Staff Memberships
Students are assessed a fee, which is included in their tuition invoice from Hardin Simmons University. Faculty/Staff receive a free membership to the facility as part of their benefit package.
Once faculty, staff, and students have signed up for their membership, they will receive a Fusion ID Card. This card must be present to enter and have access to the HSU fitness center
HSU Alumni Memberships
To sign-up for an alumni membership, the patron must have earned a degree from Hardin Simmons University. For alumni fitness center and pool membership pricing, please refer to either the Alumni Membership or Brand Swimming Pool Fees purple tab.
HSU Fitness Center Guest Policy
HSU Fitness Center members may sponsor a guest following the requirements listed below:
- All members must show their Fusion ID
- Guest must be present with a photo ID and DOB
- Guest must be 18 years of age or older
- Guest pass is only valid for the issued
- Faculty, staff and students may bring up to 2 guests per visit. Guests will be charged $3 per visit (effective June 1, 2019). All payments must be made at the front desk by credit card, cash will not be accepted.
- Non-members are limited to 3 visits to any HSU UREC facility per semester
- Members must complete a UREC waiver
- Members must be accompanied by their sponsor during the entire visit.
- Members may use the basketball courts, fitness equipment, indoor turf, elevated track, and outdoor pool
- HSU member may rent spaces and reserve equipment for their guest according to the. UREC rental policy (please note that the HSU UREC member takes full responsibility for any damage to equipment or space)
- Guests of Members may not participate in campus recreation programs such as intramural sports, club sports, personal training, group exercise or any other additional activities provided by the university
HSU Family Memberships
HSU Faculty and Staff are welcome to bring their family household, including children during family weekend hours free of charge. Please refer to family hours listed under family facility hours.
Alumni are welcome to purchase a fitness center or a swimming pool membership for their verified family members. Please click on either the Alumni Memberships or Brand Swimming Pool Fees purple tab for membership pricing and additional information for family members.
Students are welcome to purchase a fitness center or a swimming pool membership for their verified family members. Please click on either the Alumni Memberships or Brand Swimming Pool Fees purple tab for membership pricing and additional information for family members.
**Please note the number of dependencies vary for fitness center and pool membership packaging.
All family memberships for the Fletcher Fitness Center and Pool will need to provide proof of dependency!
Family eligible for membership include spouse and dependents living under the same household with the same permanent address. In addition, dependents/children are not eligible for membership if over the age of 25.
Families must provide an updated proof of ID with the same permanent address for verification purposes.
Forms of Identification include:
- Birth Certificate
- School Report Card
- Driver’s License
- Adoption Papers (if eligible)
For further questions, please contact the Fletcher Fitness Center Front Desk at (325) 671-2208.
Families must abide by all the guest policies/rules. Please refer to HSU Fitness Center Guest Policy
Children 17 and Younger
- Must always be supervised by their sponsor
- Cannot have access to the free weights and cardio equipment due to safety reasons
Termination/ Suspension of Membership
- HSU administration reserves the right to terminate any active membership that staff deems to be creating an unsafe environment:
- Inappropriate supervising of a dependent
- Inappropriate behaviors (language, actions)
- The HSU fitness center staff will have the discretion to determine if attire is appropriate.
- No jeans, jean shorts, cargo pants or clothing with metal pieces and accessories that could damage upholstery.
- No spandex shorts or sports bra tops or bottoms that are not covered by approved athletic attire including:
- Cut-off shirts, sport bras and crop tops.
- No open-toe or slip-on shoes.
- Shirts and tank tops must 1) be worn and 2) cover the entire torso (i.e., chest, midriff).
Front entrance of the Fletcher Fitness Center provides illustrations to help you determine which shirts/tops can and cannot be worn. The NOGO includes any attire that is altered more and/or shows more of the torso than what is portrayed.
Thank you for your cooperation!
Thank you so much for your continued patronage of the Fletcher Fitness Center. As Hardin-Simmons alumni, it has been our privilege to serve your fitness health over the last three years.
We hope you have been able to enjoy your complimentary introductory membership as a way to acquaint you with all of the benefits our center has to offer, including indoor track, cardio equipment, weight training equipment, pickleball and badminton, pool, group exercise classes, and more.
With an increased demand for staffing and resources, we will transition to a fee-based membership beginning in 2022. We realize that this will be a change and appreciate your support so that we can continue to make this amazing campus amenity available for all of our guests. We have worked very hard to keep the membership cost affordable and competitive with other area gyms.
A couple of exciting additions, we will be offering the option for family membership passes and discounts for extended memberships and pool combo memberships.
Fitness Membership Fees:
- 1 Month Individual Membership $35
- 4 Month Individual Membership $100
- 12 Month Individual Membership $240
- 12 Month Family Membership $480 (includes member, spouse, and up to two dependents age 25 and under)
You may begin to purchase memberships starting January 3 at our front desk. Effective January 10, 2022, any person visiting the gym will be required to show proof of membership before entering the facility. We desire to make this transition as smooth as possible. If you have any questions, please reach out to me at (325) 671-2208.
- The Fitness Center is limited to HSU students, faculty, staff, alumni, as well as, their families and guests.
- Check-in with your UREC Approved ID at the front desk to gain access.
- You must be 18 years old to participate without supervision.
- No food, tobacco, or gum is allowed in the fitness center.
- Water bottles beyond the front desk must be in a non-glass container with a resealable lid.
- No pets are permitted except for Guide or Service animals.
- You may not leave personal items lying on the floor. You must store all personal items in a day locker located in the locker rooms. HSU is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- All items of equipment that are rented out must be returned to the front desk before leaving the fitness center.
- The HSU fitness center staff reserves the right to ask people to leave at any time for inappropriate behavior or breaking the fitness center rules.
- All patrons must:
- Wear appropriate workout clothes
- Wear a full shirt
- Wear closed-toe running shoes
Thank you for your cooperation!
Swimming Pool Membership Fees
- 1-Day Pool or Guest Pass: $3.00
- Single Monthly Pool Pass: $25.00
- Alumni and Student Family Monthly Pool Pass: $75.00
- Alumni and Student Family Summer/Fall Term Pool Pass: $225.00
Brand Swimming Pool Summer/Family Hours
- Tuesday-Saturday: 12 p.m. – 6 p.m.
- Sunday: 1 p.m. – 6 p.m.
Learn to Swim and Lifeguarding
For questions about Lifeguarding Certifications or the HSU Learn to Swim Program, please contact Dr. Corrie Reed at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit https://hsuswim.wordpress.com/lifeguard-certification/
Pool Party Policies and Regulations
Pool party reservations are only available from 6:30 p.m.- 10:30 p.m. Tuesday through Sunday.
All payments must be made by credit card, cash will not be accepted.
Full payment is due at the time of the pool party reservation. No reservation date and time is guaranteed until payment is received.
All party patrons must enter through the fitness center entrance and sign a waiver to get access to the pool area.
All patrons must reserve a party 2-weeks in advance.
Pool parties cannot exceed the allotted number of people for that pool party reservation. Important to note this includes both swimmers and non-swimmers.
Pool Party Pricing
2-Hour Time Slot- Pricing
- 1-25 people $75
- 26-50 people $90
- 51-75 people $105
4-Hour Time Slot -Pricing
- 1-25 people $150
- 26-50 people $180
- 51-75 people $210
Cancellation & Refund Policy
Pool parties must be canceled 10 days prior to reservation date for FULL refund.
Between 10 days and 48 hours, there is a $75 minimum charge for cancellation of scheduled pool party.
Full charge for pool party cancellation less than 48 hours before scheduled pool party.
Weather Policy for Pool Parties
If members show up for their reserved pool party, they’re not eligible for a refund or reschedule.
If members choose to cancel prior to party start time due to projected weather conditions, they’re eligible for reschedule but no refund. Reschedules will depend on availability.
General Rules and Regulations
- Children younger than 18 years of age must be accompanied by a responsible adult 18 years of age or older.
- All pool patrons must be attired in a swimsuit. Cutoffs, others makeshift swimsuits, or thong bikinis are not permitted. Street-clothes and aqua shoes are not allowed in the pool area.
- All party patrons must enter through the fitness center entrance and sign a waiver to gain access to the pool.
- All guest patrons must enter through the fitness center entrance and pay a $3 fee. Please note an HSU sponsor can only bring two guests per pool visit. Card is only accepted, no other form of payment.
- Admission to the pool may be denied for any of the following reasons:
- Intoxication or under the influence of drugs.
- Evidence of contagious disease.
- Open wounds or sores.
- The facility supervisor has the authorization to request anyone to take a shower before entering the pool.
- Abusive or profane language will not be permitted.
- Any form of tobacco, alcoholic beverages, or drugs are not permitted in or near the pool.
- Chewing gum is not permitted in the pool area.
- Food and beverages must be confined to grassy or shaded shelter areas.
- No sunbathing on the deck. Grassy areas and chairs are available.
- Glass bottles or drugs are not permitted inside the pool area.
- Horseplay is not allowed anywhere in the pool area or deck.
- Running is not allowed anywhere inside the fence of the pool area.
- Flips, turns, and twist, are not permitted anywhere and diving is not allowed in shallow water areas.
- Swimmers must stay off lane ropes, safety lines and lifeguard stands.
- Loitering will not be permitted adjacent to the pool entrance or cashier’s window.
- Normal diapers are not allowed, only “swim diapers” are permitted in the pool.
- Employees only are permitted in the office, filter areas, mechanical rooms and storage areas.
- Patrons are not permitted to use the office phone.
- Only U.S. Coast Guard approved floatation devices are allowed in the pool area.
- Animals are not allowed inside the pool area, except for those assisting the handicapped.
- Swimmers will not be allowed in water past shoulder depth unless they can pass the swim test described below.
- Demonstrate the ability to breathe while swimming.
- Facility supervisors may eject and suspend persons from the pool area for any violation of pool rules or any action determinate to the safe and orderly operation of the swimming pool.
- There will be a 10-minute break each hour.
Please obey the rules listed above because they are designed for your safety and the safety of others.
Pool Guest Policy
- Guest must be present with a photo ID and DOB
- All guest patrons must enter through the fitness center entrance and pay a $3 fee. Card is only accepted, no other form of payment
- Faculty, staff, students, alumni and approved HSU spouses/dependents (over 18) may bring up to 2 guests per visit. Guests will be charged $3 per visit. All payments must be made at the front desk by credit card, cash will not be accepted
- Non-members (guest) are NOT limited to the number of times they can come to the pool
- Guest pass is only valid for the issued day
- HSU affiliated members must be accompanied by their sponsor during the entire visit
- HSU affiliated members include the following: faculty, staff, alumni, students and HSU spouse/dependents.
Pool Weather Policy
- If the temperature outside is below 45 degrees ambient (windchill or temp) then the pool will be closed for the day.
- If lightning is spotted within 8 miles of the pool, everyone will be asked to evacuate the pool for 30-minutes.
UREC Pool Swim Test
All swimmers 12 and younger or by the judgement of the lifeguards on duty will need to take a swim test.
This test is used to allow a swimmer access to the deep end and diving boards. If the swimmer fails, they are not allowed in the deep end or diving boards.
When administering the test, a guard is to get in the water and swim near in case they need assistance. Any assistance is an automatic fail.
To pass, the patron must:
- Jump into the water, level off at the surface of the water.
- Without touching the wall or any support, tread water for 30 seconds.
- Be able to swim to the other edge of the deep end, without assistance.
- Demonstrate breath control—the ability to pick up or turn the head to get a breath while swimming.
- Exit the water independently; without using the ladder.
Once completed, if the swimmer passes, they will be allowed to swim in the deep end. If the swimmer fails, they will need to get a wristband.
Only the lifeguard administering the test will sign their initials.
A swim test must be conducted once a summer until the child is over the age of 12.
**Swimmers are given one chance that day. If they do not pass, they can come in another day to attempt the swim test again.**
Locker Rental and Renewal
Faculty, staff, alumni, and students may rent a locker by the appropriate semester. You can rent out your locker on the initial date listed and all items must be emptied out by the expiration date.
All semester lockers are $10.
- To reserve your locker, stop by the front desk.
- Locks are provided
- The rentals are based off “first come, first served”
- Lockers are not transferable
- NEW: HSU UREC is now offering a towel service for showering purposes. For $20 per term, you can check out a bath towel. When you’re ready to leave, drop your towel in the towel dispenser and get a new one each time you come.
Facility Rental Policies and Regulations
*Because of the influx in HSU summer camps we are not currently taking any fitness center facility rentals.
- All payments must be made by credit card, cash will not be accepted.
- All patrons must enter through the fitness center entrance and sign a waiver to gain access to the facility.
- All reservations must reserve a facility space 2-weeks in advance.
- Reservations can only be made in 2-hour blocks during non-peak facility hours.
- No food or drink (beside water) is allowed in the facility. Special arrangements can be made to use the patio for food and beverages.
- Patrons must follow all facility policies and rules.
Facility Rental Pricing
- Basketball Court- 1 Hour $50
- Basketball Court- 2 Hours $90
- Indoor Turf – 1 Hour $50
- Indoor Turf – 2 Hours $90
Facility Rental Cancellation and Refund Policy
- Must cancel facility rental 10 days prior to reservation date for FULL refund.
- Between 10 days and 48 hours, there is a $25 minimum charge for cancellation of scheduled reservation.
- Full charge of facility rental cancellation less than 48 hours before scheduled facility rental.
To foster lifelong learning and wellness, stimulate a Physical and Spiritual development to facilitate retention by providing recreation services to the students first, as well as the university community.
Hardin-Simmons University’s -University Recreation (UREC) will be recognized as a leader in recreation and transformational education.
1. Provide co-curricular programs and services that enhance the success of our students in a safe and diverse environment.
2. Improve the health and wellness of the campus community.
3. Develop and improve the Campus Recreation facilities.
4. Create outreach programs for targeted populations.
5. Improve knowledge and professional development of UREC staff.
6. Manage fiscal resources in a responsible manner
To effectively fulfill its mission and accomplish its goals, the University Recreation (UREC) provides, within the scope of its resources, the following:
- Opportunities for a variety of cooperative and competitive activities that will contribute to an individual’s physical fitness;
- Access to quality, contemporary and modern facilities and programs;
- A variety of programming including the major areas of informal/drop-in recreation, aquatics, intramural sports, sport clubs, outdoor recreation, and fitness;
- Coordination of the scheduling of events, promotion of activities and maintenance of campus recreational facilities to maximize facility use to better serve the campus community;
- Development of a medium through which students can develop leadership, management, program planning and communication skills;
- Extracurricular opportunities through participation and leadership roles designed to enhance social, psychological and physiological development.