Whether you have a specific fitness goal to reach, want to have fun working out with friends, or just need to blow off some steam, we’re here to help! Click on a tab below for more information about the service or program that interests you. Please contact fitness coordinator Kourtney Reneau at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding fitness programs.
Who can Participate in group fitness classes?
Any current HSU student, alumni, faculty or staff member, or spouse can participate in group fitness classes. Each class is led by a certified group fitness instructor.
Group fitness is a great option for participants who want to make group fitness their main source of physical activity. This convenient and affordable option also allows participants to supplement their main fitness activities. All levels of experience are welcome, and our instructors can modify exercises based on your specific needs!
How do I sign up?
A group fitness pass (additional membership) is required to attend all classes. You can purchase this pass at the front desk of the Fletcher Fitness Center.
- Faculty, Staff and Alumni: $35 for unlimited classes (1 semester)
- Students: $20 for unlimited classes (1 semester)
- Drop-In Classes: $3 per class
What class formats are offered?
Come and try TRX, designed to target both upper and lower-body muscular strength using body weight with overhead leverage TRX straps.
This class is designed to develop both strength and endurance through high-intensity interval and circuit training. Bootcamp-style fitness equipment is used to help participants obtain optimal performance.
What are the Group Exercise Policies?
- All participants must have an HSU UREC membership (Faculty, Staff, Student, Alumni, and Spouse) to participate in a group exercise class.
- Members must always check-in at the front desk of the fitness center before attending the class. When members check-in at the front desk, they will receive a colored card. This card must be given to the instructor when entering the class.
- Members will be asked to fill out a PAR-Q prior to attending their first class.
- Fitness classes are available on a “first-come, first-served” basis. Once the class reaches maximum capacity, members will not be allowed to attend.
- If you are more than 5 minutes late to any fitness class, it is up to the instructor to allow members to participate. It is highly encouraged that you show up 10 minutes before class starts.
- All group exercise classes are subject to cancellation for University Holidays, emergencies, and weather restrictions. An email will be sent to all group exercise participants on cancellations.
Why should I work with a personal trainer?
- To create a safe, effective, personalized exercise program for me.
- To help me correct bad habits that may be inhibiting my success.
- To help me build strength, improve definition, and perfect movement patterns.
- To help me develop an overall healthier lifestyle.
- To keep me motivated and educated.
What are my options for personal training?
Individual Training Sessions: The traditional approach to personal training- one-on-one sessions with just you and your personal trainer. This option guarantees that you will have your trainer’s undivided attention, and your personal fitness program will be designed with your specific goals and needs in mind.
Group/Buddy Training Sessions: Grab a friend and one of our personal trainers to begin achieving your health and fitness goals together. For maximum effectiveness, we recommend you have partners that have similar fitness goals and be of similar fitness levels. Participants must register and exercise together. Prices are listed per person.
- All sessions are 1 hour in length unless otherwise specified.
- Personal training sessions are non-refundable, non-transferable, and expire 6 months from the date of purchase.
- Guests are asked to cancel at least 24hrs in advance of the schedules training session. Failure to contact your trainer can result in forfeiture of a session.
- Sessions that begin late due to the client not being on time will end one hour from the schedules start time.
Student Training Packages
|Individual 60 min||Individual 45 min||Buddy 60 min||Group (3-4 participants) 60 min|
Fac/Staff/Alumni Training Packages
|Individual 60 min||Individual 45 min||Buddy 60 min||Group (3-4 participants) 60 min|
Want all the benefits of personal training for a more affordable cost? Personalized programming is perfect for you!
Work directly with a personal trainer to design a workout program specific to your fitness and wellness goals. With this option, you don’t have to worry about scheduling around your trainer’s availability because you will be completing the program on your own time!
How much does personalized programming cost?
- 2 weeks: $45
- 4 weeks: $90
- 8 weeks: $175
- 12 weeks: $265
- 16 weeks: $350
What is included in the price?
- Weekly check-ins with your trainer.
- Up to 5 workouts every week.
- Initial consultation to discuss goals and program ideas.
What is small group training?
Small group training consists of one trainer working with a group of 3 to 8 clients. Keeping the group to an 8-person max allows the personal trainer to build a connection with each individual while also giving proper attention to each participant’s safety, form, and alignment. Small group training is considered a more cost-effective way for people to experience the benefits of working with a fitness professional.
What are the benefits of small group training?
- More personal attention. Working out in a small group allows the personal trainer to offer corrections and appropriate modifications and progressions.
- Variety. The workouts change and evolve as the group progresses.
- Motivation. Having someone exercising right beside you, with the sane goals, often encourages you to keep pushing.
- Support. Both the trainer and the other participants are there to help you get through the challenges in front of you. You’re all on the same team!
- Fun! Yes, fun! The right exercise program done with friends can definitely be exciting and enjoyable.
All classes are subject to change based on the semester and the demand of the class. To register for a class, please see the front desk of the fitness center.
Sprint 8 goes beyond your typical high-intensity interval training (HIIT) workout. Experience an effective, fat-burning workout that includes a complete cardio exercise in just 30 minutes. Stay motivated to reach your goals with this Small Group Personal Training program designed to get you results.
|Dates||Jan 24-Feb 17||March 21 – April 14|
|Days||Monday & Wednesday||Monday & Wednesday|
|Time||5:15 p.m. – 5:45 p.m.||5:15 p.m. – 5:45 p.m.|
|Location||Cardio Area||Cardio Area|
This course will cover the fundamentals of strength enhancement and how to reach your strength goals. Build your confidence and incorporate a wide variety of exercises into your routine by developing proper form and strength training techniques. All levels welcome. No experience required.
|Dates||Jan 25 – Feb 17||March 22 – April 14|
|Days||Tuesday & Thursday||Tuesday & Thursday|
|Time||5:15 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.||5:15 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.|
|Location||Indoor Turf||Indoor Turf|
Fitness assessments are a great tool to help you make exercise a part of your daily life. By evaluating your fitness level and health risk, we can establish a personalized exercise program to help you achieve your fitness goals.
*Please note, wellness assessments are complimentary with the purchase of personal training sessions.
- Resting heart rate/resting blood pressure: resting heart rate and blood pressure are important indicators to measure as you begin and progress in your fitness routine.
- Body mass index (BMI): ratio of height and weight,
- Waist to Hip Ratio: comparison of waist circumference to hip circumference.
- Cardiovascular endurance testing
- Muscular endurance testing
**Additional testing may be purchased in collaboration with the Human Performance Lab
Assessments are available for $15 and will take between 30-45 minutes. You will work with a personal trainer to determine which assessments are right for you and your fitness goals. Please make sure to wear athletic-style clothing during assessments.
Please email Kourtney Reneau Klk1608@hsutx.edu to schedule your fitness assessment appointment.
Kourtney received her bachelor’s degree from HSU and currently pursuing a Masters in Kinesiology, Sports Recreation at HSU. Kourtney is a Certified ACE Group Fitness Instructor and Personal Trainer. She has been teaching group fitness classes for over 1 year and is extremely passionate about fitness and her own personal journey which started 3 years ago. As a former dancer, Kourtney is able to incorporate different movements to her classes to keep them fresh and exciting. She loves to interact and build relationships with others who want to grow in their health and fitness journey.
Kareem is a student athlete at HSU and currently pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science. He is a Certified ACE Group Fitness Instructor and Personal Trainer. Kareem has been teaching group fitness classes for 1 year and is able to use his background in sports to lead his classes. When it comes to teaching, he focuses on pushing participants past what they think their limitations are in order to encourage friendly competition. Kareem wants to help others reach and exceed their fitness goals.
Josh is a current student at HSU and is pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Health Psychology with a Minor in Philosophy. He is an ACE Certified Personal Trainer and aspires to obtain his USAPL certifications. Josh uses a scientific approach to training and goes through many different sources to ensure its validity. Josh plans to enter sports psychology or coaching field to help athletes achieve their goals.
Karsyn is a received her Bachelor of Science in Biology with a Double Minor in Honors and Public Health. After graduating in December 2021, Karsyn will attend HSU’s Physicians Assitant School in pursuit of her ultimate dreams. She is a Certified ACE Group Fitness Instructor. Karsyn is most passionate about making people happy and healthy. As a teacher, Karsyn strives to make her participants push themselves while motivating others in order to create a fun, uplifting environment. Karsyn strongly believes in the importance of remaining active to help the body have more energy and to keep the body the healthiest it can be.