Our mission for Hardin-Simmons University’s International Studies program is to provide access to international academic programs that foster an understanding of the global community and serve students, faculty, and departments by facilitating the development and implementation of quality international academic experiences.
Study abroad programs at HSU vary in length from a full academic year to three weeks during the summer. We have study programs and partnerships in:
The London Semester takes you to London each spring semester. Study Abroad learning sets you apart from many other HSU students. You have the vision to see that a semester of international study will enrich your academic experience and you’re your undergraduate degree exceptional. The program asks from you a commitment of money and time, but I assure you the payoff will be tremendous.
London will become your classroom and home for a semester. You will study with both British and American professors utilizing the city of London as your classroom. You will go on many excursions in London, a number of day trips out of London, and a spring break tour of England, Scotland, and Wales. Very few other study-abroad programs provide so much.
SELECTION CRITERIA: Each University will select up to ten students to participate in the London Semester. The participants will be selected on the basis of the following criteria:
- G.P.A. of 2.5 or better (cumulative)
- Evaluations of two faculty members
- Academic and College achievements
Your application will be reviewed by the London Program Director to determine which applicants are most qualified.
Join the HSU London Facebook Group to stay informed.
Our goal is to choose students who have demonstrated the following characteristics: they perform well in classes; they are dependable, cooperative, and considerate; they are disciplined and prompt; they are intellectually curious and flexible, and finally, they are persons of integrity.
HSU offers students a semester abroad opportunity at Salzburg College, Salzburg, Austria.
This very economical program is unique because it also includes a week-long field trip through Germany and a five-day trip to Vienna. Students have a two-week break to travel on their own and explore Europe. Students participating in this program live in Austrian homes that are carefully selected to provide a secure family environment.
All of the courses taken at Salzburg College are taught in English by European faculty. Salzburg College offers you an academic program tailored to your needs, with small classes and dedicated professors who encourage you to integrate your personal experience into your coursework. Make Salzburg, Austria, and Europe your classroom!
While all courses at Salzburg College are open to all students, certain areas of concentration have been developed. These include specialized field trips and other professional opportunities.
G’DAY, want to study in Australia? HSU offers students the chance to study at two universities in Australia: Macquarie University in Sydney and on one of the six campuses of Australian Catholic University (ACU).
Studying in Australia gives you the opportunity to experience life in one of the world’s most beautiful and cosmopolitan cities. Ahead of you are opportunities, experiences, and challenges that may change the way you see life, the world, and your place in it.
- Study courses that you may not have the opportunity to study at HSU.
- Study with professors and students from Australia and across the world who offer a fresh perspective.
- Build up an international network of people who share similar academic, professional, and personal goals.
- Experience a different education system, a different way of life, and share it with your new friends from around the world.
- Soak up the atmosphere of one of the world’s great cities – from beaches to high culture, Sydney is truly cosmopolitan and multicultural.
- Explore the Pacific Rim and explore Australia!
- Challenge yourself to succeed in a new education system, a new environment.
- Challenge yourself to learn and embrace something new, in the classroom and in the real world.
- Challenges will present themselves in all shapes and sizes, are you ready?
Salamanca & the Universidad de Salamanca
- Castilla y León
- Unesco World Heritage City
- University founded in 1218
- Third oldest university in Europe
- Host homes vs. Dorms
- Can have a single room or a double room
- Include bathroom, desk, wardrobe, bookshelf
- Has a workout room
- Vending machines (coffee for .70 euro!!)
- Lounge area with TV
- Ping pong and foosball tables
Culture and Food
- There is no Mexican food (except for one place on the Plaza Mayor)
- American chains only in big cities
- They stay up late … really late.
- Siesta from 2-5ish p.m.
- Spanish food is exotic, unlike fast-food
Travel and Fun
- School provides some travel opportunities and tours
- Play soccer with students from all over the world
- Become friends with Spaniards
- You schedule your own weekend travel
- On weekends students can travel to places nearby or far :
- Aveiro, Portugal
- Or wherever you want to go
You have the opportunity to study for a semester at Hong Kong Baptist University
Why should you consider studying at HKBU?
- A cultural experience to enhance any major
- An opportunity to travel to Asia
- Your financial aid goes with you
Students may study during either the fall or spring term. All courses are offered in English and are readily applicable to their HSU degree plans. While attending HKBU, students live at the International House, which has hotel type accommodations with two students per room and private bath facilities. Meals can be taken at the university’s central dining facility, with breakfast provided at the International House. The tuition cost of attending HKBU is the same as the cost at HSU, which makes the program our most affordable academic study abroad program.
While attending HKBU, students have extensive opportunity to travel throughout the Pacific Rim area, including Thailand, mainland China, Singapore, and Taiwan. School-sponsored trips to Beijing and other mainland China cities are also available.
Interested students should apply to the HSU International Studies Office for study at HKBU by March 15 for the Fall semester and October 15 for the Spring semester.
Summer Study Abroad in Italy program: We host a special trip with opportunities for students to earn HSU course credits while traveling to Italy to explore topics in art history and culture, and take art courses from our HSU partner, the Santa Reparata International School of Art.
May 22- June 23, 2022
Interest Meeting: Nov. 16, 2021, Frost Center Room 103 Lecture Hall, 5:30 p.m.
HSU Faculty Facilitator: Linda Fawcett
The HSU art program is making its semi-regular faculty-led trip to Italy for the summer of 2022 jointly led by the McMurry Art department and Sponsored by SRISA International school of art in Florence, Italy.
- Art 2306 Art History Survey I (Travel) *fine art core credit)
- Art 2307 Art History Survey 2 (Travel) *Fine art core credit)
- Art 4099 Art history in Florence I (Travel)
- Art 4099 Art history in Florence II (Travel)
- ART 3333 Watercolor (Travel)
- ART 4099 Advanced Drawing and Collage (Travel)
More in-depth information regarding the trip and tentative schedule of activities.
Many other destinations are available too through HSU faculty-led trips, the CGE, and the CCCU. Scholarships apply to HSU trips.
International Studies Scholarship Information
Hardin-Simmons University International Studies offers generous scholarships for HSU faculty led trips that can make the cost of studying abroad as affordable as studying on campus! Also, at HSU, block tuition applies for HSU faculty led trips.
Follow us on social media to keep up with current students studying abroad and learn what your experience could be:
The International Studies office is in SR 116.