Emotional Support Animal Information

Hardin-Simmons University is committed to providing residents with disabilities complete access and equal opportunity in the residence halls and other living spaces.

  • The application process must be started 60 days before the animal is brought on campus.
  • Bringing an animal on campus before the ESA’s finalization interview with the Director of Residence Life will result in an unauthorized pet fine of $500.
  • Animals must be at a mature age. Puppies and kittens will not be accepted or approved. Dogs must be 1 year old and cats must be 6 months old.
  • Students requesting an ESA must have an ongoing relationship with a counselor who can verify their need for an Emotional Support Animal. ONLINE COUNSELING DOCUMENTATION or AN ONLINE ESA REGISTRATION WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

HSU discourages students from paying websites or individuals on websites for certifications, “ESA Registration,” or template letters. Such documentation is not sufficient or reliable to observe a disability or disability-related need.

ESA Checklist

  1. Contact Disability Services or disabilityservices@hsutx.edu
  2. Contact the Director of Residence Life to go over the policies and procedures and sign the acknowledgement form. residencelife@hsutx.edu
  3. Submit the documentation required by Disability Services.
  4. If Disability Services says you are eligible, you will be contacted by the Director of Residence Life to submit an ESA Registration Form.
  5. Once submitted, the Director of Residence Life will set up a Finalization Interview with the student. If the animal is approved a date will be given for the animal to come on campus.


Carol Krueger Ed.D
Director of Undergraduate Advising, Disability Services, and the Academic Center for Enrichment
Testing Center Coordinator
(325) 670-5842

Kelly Eason
Director of Residence Life
Kelly.eason@hsutx.edu or residencelife@hsutx.edu


As defined by the Fair Housing Act, an emotional support animal may provide physical assistance, emotional support, calming, stability and other kinds of support. This is not a pet, instead it is a tool used to support a student with mental or psychological disabilities. However, an ESA is only allowed in the student’s assigned residential space and not allowed in classes or other buildings or public spaces including on-campus events. Having a mental health disability does not automatically qualify a student for an ESA accommodation. The student must prove that the animal provides emotional support or other assistance that ameliorates one or more symptoms or effects of a mental health disability.

A Service Animal is trained to perform a specific task to benefit the student. This animal is not a pet and unlike an ESA is allowed to accompany the student to all locations. To apply for a service animal please register here.

No, an ESA is only allowed in the student’s residence. They may not bring the animal to any other building on campus or take the animal to campus events.

Students will be required to register with disability services, provide a clinician verification form, and an ESA registration form which will include a request for the animals shot record, spay or neuter record, age, breed, picture, and emergency contact information for someone that does not live on campus that can take care of the animal in case the student has an emergency.

ESA Handbook

  • Once approved for an ESA the student is responsible for following all the policies and procedures set out in the ESA Handbook. If the student breaks the rules for an ESA or other rules laid out in the Student Life Handbook the ESA may be removed and the student’s ESA eligibility may be put on hold.
  • If your ESA is approved and you exchange the registered animal for another animal, you will be fined $500 for an unauthorized pet. If you would like to change which animal you are using as an ESA, you must contact the Director of Residence Life and register the new animal.
  • ESA accommodations are reviewed yearly. Students must reapply for their ESA and submit new or updated records. Students failing to do this will be fined for having an unauthorized pet and will be asked to remove the animal. If the student fails to communicate with the Director of Residence Life or the Director of Disability Services in a timely manner their eligibility will be put on hold.