Welcome to the Office of Career Services at Hardin-Simmons University!
Our mission is to provide you with expert guidance and all the tools you need to begin and thrive in your career. Whether you are exploring career options, looking for a way to build your resume, or anxious about the post-grad job search process, we are here to help. Check out the information tab below for students, and contact our office directly at any time.
Contact Information: Moody 215 | 325-670-1166 | firstname.lastname@example.org
By activating your account in our online recruiting platform Handshake, you can view open positions on- and off-campus, submit your resume for employers to view, see upcoming event details, and access career documents and resources.
HSU Career Services Upcoming Events
- Resumes & Lattes – February 5, 2-4pm (Gilbert’s)
- Healthcare Professions Fair – February 6, 4-6pm (ACU Hunter Welcome Center)
- Adulting 101 for Seniors (3 of 5) – February 13, 7-8pm (Moody 233)
- JCPenney Suit Up – March 1, 6-8pm (Mall of Abilene)
- Adulting 101 for Seniors (4 of 5) – March 19, 7-8pm (Moody 233)
- Resumes & Lattes – March 26, 2-4pm (Gilbert’s)
- Tri-University Teacher Fair – April 1, 10am-12pm (ACU Hunter Welcome Center)
- Resumes & Lattes – April 15, 2-4pm (Gilbert’s)
- Adulting 101 for Seniors (5 of 5) – April 23, 7-8pm (Moody 233)
See more details and reserve your spot at Career Services events in Handshake!
Connect with us in Handshake!
By creating your employer account in Handshake and connecting to Hardin-Simmons University, you can:
- Post open jobs & internships from your organization
- Register for job and career fairs
- Host personalized on-campus recruiting and interviewing events at HSU
- Manage your hiring process using Handshake’s intuitive applicant tracking system (if desired)
Check out Handshake’s employer help center if you need assistance, or contact our office at any time.
Fall 2019 Recruiting Opportunities
Sign up to attend HSU events in Handshake!
Job, Career, and Info Fairs:
- “My Abilene” Info Fair – August 26, 2-5pm
- Part-Time Job Fair – August 29, 11:30-1:30pm
- Government/NonProfit Career Fair – October 10, 3-6pm (in partnership with the West Central Texas Career Consortium)
- Tri-University Teacher Fair – April 1, 2020, 10am-12pm (in partnership with other local universities)
Opportunities for Sponsorship:
- Suit Up! with JCPenney – October 6, 6-9pm (sponsor a suit or other giveaway)
- Etiquette Dinner – November 13, 6-8pm (host a table and share about your organization)
- Adulting 101 for Seniors (series of 5) – October 3, November 21, February 13, March 19, April 23 (sponsor a giveaway or the dessert and coffee for the evening)
Contact HSU Career Services if your organization is interested in sponsoring an event.
Jobs, Internships, and Experiential Learning
Handshake is HSU’s interactive online recruiting platform. In the site, HSU students can upload a resume and access postings for part-time, full-time, and work study positions as well as opportunities for internships and other special projects. Best of all, you can connect to employers from all over the country as you consider your post-graduation plans.
Networking and Career Connections
The Career Services office hosts numerous events throughout the year to provide networking opportunities with HSU alumni and employers, including career panels and mix-and-mingle events. We also host multiple job fairs and on-campus interviews with hiring managers from all over Texas. You can even ask career questions of alumni through Handshake!
Professional Development Resources
Participate in a mock interview, stop by a Resumes & Lattes event to strengthen your resume, and attend our annual Etiquette Dinner. We’ll teach you the basics of finding and landing a job. Check out the Resource Library in Handshake for more information.
Personalized Career Counseling
You are welcome in the Career Services office at any time to talk one-on-one about your future career options! We will help you think through your goals, values, and life calling. Email us to set an appointment, or sign up for an appointment in Handshake.
Tools for Self-Discovery
Finding the right career starts with knowing yourself! Through Career Services, you have exclusive access to career and personality assessments such as Clifton Strengths and Focus 2. Access them all from the Career Assessment tab below, or (you guessed it) in Handshake.
Career Exploration Resources
Focus 2 – This 5-part career assessment is a powerful tool for discovering majors and careers that are a good fit for you. Explore thousands of occupations based on your results!
ACCESS CODE: cowboys
What Can I Do With This Major? – Explore how different majors can lead to certain career pathways.
Value Sort Activity – Consider what values are most important to you as you explore the kind of life you want to have.
Handshake Job Role Profiles – In Handshake, click “Career Center” then “Discover Careers” to see descriptions of job roles within various industries. Browse active jobs in Handshake that fit that role, see salary and location information, and more.
Clifton Strengths – Discover your Top 5 Strengths and explore how you can harness them in work and life. Contact HSU Career Services for an access code, or if you took this during Stampede but don’t remember your Strengths.
Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) – This classic personality assessment gives great insight into why you do the things you do.
Enneagram – The Enneagram is a more holistic approach to the human person than traditional assessments. NOTE: The link above is to a free test, but the best way to determine your type is to read about all of them, rather than taking a test.
On the Hunt for a New Job?
Through Handshake, HSU alumni have access to view thousands of job and internship opportunities. The Office of Career Services also hosts career fairs and on-campus interviews in which alumni are welcome to participate.
Wanting to Connect to HSU Students?
Let us know if you’re interested in volunteering at a Career Services event – options include career panels, mix-and-mingle events, sponsorship of award dinners, mentoring, and informal info sessions. Or, create a Handshake alumni account to answer HSU students’ career questions.
Personalized Professional Development
Participate in a mock interview, send us your resume for review, or email us to set up an in-person appointment.
Steps for Hiring Student Employees at HSU
- Contact Career Services office to post position in Handshake. Every position we hire must be posted for at least 3 days in order for HSU to meet federal regulations.
- Collect resumes, conduct interviews, and choose a candidate for hire.
- Have student complete new hire paperwork with the HSU Payroll office by their first day of work (preferably before). They must bring original documentation for their I-9, as copies cannot be accepted.
Contact our office at any time with questions about how to connect to HSU students!