The Hardin-Simmons University Houston-Lantrip Center for Literacy and Learning is dedicated to providing support for individuals with dyslexia, autism spectrum disorders, and other learning differences through teacher education, professional development, community outreach, and parental and student resources.
The HSU Houston-Lantrip Center achieves this mission through two programs: dyslexia services and autism spectrum disorder services.
The goals of the dyslexia services program are:
- Providing opportunity to students for acquisition of reading skills
- Promoting understanding of dyslexia and other language based disorders
- Preparing teacher trainees for proficiency in scientifically based reading and language instruction
- Participating in research in literacy and learning issues
- Disseminating information related to the United States Office of Special Education, Texas State Board of Education, and Advocacy group literacy policies/programs.
- Supporting families of students with dyslexia through parent support groups and advocacy
The goals of the autism spectrum disorder services program are:
- Providing support to students with behavioral and social needs
- Promoting understanding of autism and related disorders
- Preparing school district personnel to serve the diverse needs of students with ASD.
- Participating in research in Applied Behavioral Analysis and related areas.
- Disseminating information related to the United States Office of Special Education, Texas State Board of Education, and Advocacy group autism policies/programs.
- Supporting families of students with autism spectrum disorders through parent support groups and advocacy
Seminars and workshops are scheduled throughout the year to train and support adults who work directly with students who have dyslexia, autism, or other learning difficulties.
Two certificate programs are currently available through the Houston-Lantrip Center for Literacy and Learning; Dyslexia Specialist Program and Register Behavior Technician. Additionally, a Master of Education degree in Special Education and Special Education Certification are available through the School of Education to enhance these certification programs.
Houston-Lantrip Center is located at:
917 Lineberry Blvd, Abilene, Texas 79601
Mailing Address: Hardin-Simmons University, 2200 Hickory, Abilene, TX, 79698 Box 16015
Autism reception: 325-670-1005