Rights and Responsibilities as a Financial Aid Recipient
Hardin-Simmons University Financial Aid Office (FAO), in partnership with students (and students’ parents) provides federal, state, and institutional funds to help defray the cost of education. Student financial aid recipients have several responsibilities and rights.
As a student financial aid recipient, it is your responsibility to:
- reapply for financial aid each year by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and submitting all required documents to the FAO. Financial aid is not automatically renewed each year.
- complete and submit application materials within required or preferred timeframes and check your HSU Self-Service account to ensure all required forms have been submitted.
- provide additional documentation or information as requested by the FAO.
- read and understand all materials sent to you from financial aid and keep copies of all forms you sign.
- comply with the provisions of any promissory note and all other agreements you sign.
- know and comply with the federal, state, and institutional rules governing the financial aid you receive. This information is on the studentaid.gov website, and on the HSU website.
- report other sources of student financial aid to HSU FAO.
- use student financial aid proceeds solely for direct educational costs and related living expenses.
- complete the class registration process each semester by the end of the official last day to late register or add courses to ensure availability of all student financial aid funds you have been offered. Some aid programs may be subject to cancellation or reduction if your registration process is not completed by the official last day to late register or add courses.
- know the implications that dropping a course or withdrawing from the HSU will have on your student financial aid.
- maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP).
- keep your residing and permanent addresses current with the HSU.
- check your university-assigned email account often since some information and requests are sent via email.
- pay all previous session charges appearing on your university bill and/or through CASHNet before financial aid is disbursed for the current session.
- complete direct deposit information by visiting the Business office online for any financial aid refunds.
As a student financial aid recipient, you have the right to:
- know the correct procedures for applying for student financial aid, your cost of attendance, and the types of aid available.
- know how financial need is determined, what the criteria are for offering financial aid, how satisfactory academic progress is determined, and what you must do to continue receiving aid.
- know the type and amount of assistance you will receive, how much of your financial need has been met, and how and when you will receive your financial aid funds.
- view the contents of your student financial aid file, in accordance with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
- know the conditions of any loan you accept.
- know the terms, conditions, and pay rate for any student job you accept.
- Know the appeal process in regard to your financial aid application.