• Frequently Asked Questions

    • Academics

      How many majors and degrees are offered?
      There are 63 majors and minors, and 7 degrees (BA, BFA, BS, BBS, BBA, BSN, BM) at the undergraduate level are offered at HSU.

      Does the university have a core curriculum or general education requirement?

    • Admissions

      How long does it take to process an application and when will the acceptance letter be mailed?
      An acceptance letter will typically be sent out 5 - 7 days after all necessary documents are received.

      What credentials must be submitted to properly file an application?
      FRESHMEN - copy of high school transcript, ACT or SAT score (with writing), application and fee, and letters of recommendation (Level II, III, admission only)

      TRANSFERS (less than 24 hours) - ACT or SAT scores and high school transcript required

      TRANSFERS (24+ hours) - final copy of all college transcripts, application, and fee

      What is the average fall enrollment?
      Around 2,300

      Is there an application deadline?
      No, but we encourage you to apply as soon as possible.

    • Athletics

      What athletic scholarships are available?
      None - NCAA Division III is non-scholarship

      In what athletic association(s), division(s), and conferences does the college participate?
      NCAA Division III and the American Southwest Conference

      In what intercollegiate sports does the college participate (men and women)?
      MEN - Football, Basketball, Baseball, Golf, Soccer, Tennis, Indoor and Outdoor Track and Field, Cross-Country

      WOMEN - Volleyball, Basketball, Softball, Golf, Soccer, Tennis, Indoor and Outdoor Track and Field, Cross-Country

    • Financial Aid & Expenses

      What are current expenses for room, board, and fees?
      Room - $$1875 per semester
      Meal Plans as follows:
      10 - $1822.93
      14 - $2132.49
      Unlimited - $2193.81
      Commuter 50 - $585.46
      Commuter 80 - $829.36

      Are jobs available on the college campus?
      Yes - through work study programs, which can be applied for through HSU Blackboard.

      Does out-of-state tuition apply?

    • General College Questions

      How many buildings are located on the campus?
      There are 27 buildings on the main campus. View our Campus Map.

      What year was the college founded?

      How large is the campus in acreage?
      The main campus is 96 acres, but the overall campus is 220 acres.

      Is there a visitation day for prospective students?
      Yes - Fall Preview; Winter Preview; Spring Round-Up weekend, every April. Cowboy Fridays are held one Friday each month. Appointments for visitation can be made with our visitor coordinator any time of year.

    • Housing

      Name the residence halls and briefly describe each?

      HSU has one female (Anderson) and two male (Ferguson & Nix) residence halls for first-year students. Second-year students are welcomed into Lange Hall (Women) and Behrens Hall (Men) for the exclusive "Second-Year Residential Experience." Theme housing is available for Living-Learning Communities in Anderson, Ferguson, & Hunter Halls. Visit our Housing Link for specific information about each Residence Hall. Visit our Housing Link for specific information about each Residence Hall.

      Does the college offer an option between residence halls and apartment living?

      Students are required to live for four long semesters in the residence halls before becoming eligible to lease one of our popular on-campus Apartment or House options. Students who are 21 or older by the eighth class day of the semester and those students who are married are welcomed into these exciting housing options!

      Do co-ed residence halls exist?

    • Smoke-free Tobacco-free FAQs

      1. Why is HSU going smoke-free and tobacco-free?
      This regulation is about creating healthier campus environments for our students, staff, faculty and visitors. It is intended to foster greater respect for one another and improve the health of the HSU family. Additionally, adopting a smoke-free policy aligns with HSU's growing commitment to environmental sustainability.

      2. What areas of campus will the smoke-free and tobacco-free regulation cover?
      Tobacco usage will be prohibited on all university-owned properties.

      3. Can I smoke in my car?
      Smoking in vehicles that are on HSU-owned properties will be prohibited under the new regulation.

      4. Why doesn't HSU provide designated smoking areas on campus?
      Providing a place to smoke does not support the university's goal of creating a healthier environment.

      5. Will HSU offer resources for students, faculty and staff who want to quit using tobacco?
      Yes. HSU is committed to helping students, faculty and staff manage or overcome their tobacco use. The following resources are available to HSU students, faculty and staff:

      • In an effort to support all members of the university community, the University Counselor, in conjunction with the Family Psychology Center, will be implementing various forms of support for tobacco cessation program as well as its nicotine withdrawal (for those who wish to use nicotine replacement therapies while on campus).
      • Individual, free counseling sessions are available through the Family Psychology Center. For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call: 325-670-1531.
      • Support Groups for those who have quit smoking or who are considering it.
      • The Texas Department of Health offers a toll-free Quitline, 1-877-U-CAN-NOW (1-877-822-6669), and a Website, with free resources in English and Spanish. Counselors are available 24 hours a day.
      • The American Cancer Society offers a toll-free phone line, 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-800-784-8669).
      • The National Cancer Institute offers a toll-free phone line, 1-877-44U-QUIT (1-877-448-7848), with access to English- and Spanish-speaking counselors.
      • Visit Smokefree.gov for additional resources.
      • For individuals who want to quit "cold turkey" without medical treatment of their nicotine addiction, go to www.whyquit.com.

      6. Are other colleges and universities going tobacco-free and smoke-free?
      As of October 2014, there are at least 1478 campuses that are 100 percent smoke-free, including residential housing facilities, and there are 976 tobacco-free campuses. (http://www.no-smoke.org/pdf/smokefreecollegesuniversities.pdf). Institutions of higher education are supporting tobacco-free environments for multiple reasons, including:

      1. protecting the health of faculty, staff, students and visitors
      2. supporting faculty, staff and student preferences for tobacco-free environments
      3. keeping campuses clean
      4. reducing fire hazards.

      7. What are the rights of smokers?
      Court rulings maintain that tobacco users do not have the legal right to expose others to secondhand smoke, a Class A carcinogen. Additionally, they are not entitled to protection against discrimination as "addicts" or as "disabled persons".

      8. Will the tobacco-free, smoke-free policy extend to vendors, contracted workers, etc.?
      Yes. All visitors, including vendors, contract workers, etc., will be required to refrain from using tobacco products on our campuses.

      9. How can I ask questions or address concerns that I have about the tobacco-free campus policy?
      Any questions pertaining to the tobacco-free and smoke-free campus policy can be submitted to University Police.

      10. What happens if I violate the regulation and use tobacco or smoke on campus? Employees and Students:
      First-time offenders will receive a warning. The Notice of Violation will provide you with information on resources available to help you manage your tobacco use and/or resources if you are ready to quit.

      11. What happens if I violate the regulation after I have been issued a warning?
      Employees and Students:
      If you violate the regulation a second time, you will be required to attend two smoking/tobacco management/dependence consultations with the Family Psychology Center, in either group or individual settings. These sessions are intended to help you manage your tobacco use. You may sign up for these consultations with the Family Psychology Center by calling their office at 325-670-1531. You must register for these classes within 14 days of receiving this notice and complete all consultations within 45 calendar days of the notice. Failure to comply will result in this automatically becoming a third violation.

      12. What happens if I violate the regulation a third time?
      You will be referred to the appropriate area to begin the progressive disciplinary process.
      You will be referred to the Dean of Students for appropriate discipline.

      13. Are there any areas on campus where smoking and/or tobacco use is allowed?
      All parts of university campus are completely tobacco-free, smoke-free zones and, therefore, there are no such areas.

      14. What should I do if I see someone smoking and/or using tobacco products?
      You can provide them with education. As you approach the user, you can inform them that we are proud to be a tobacco-free, smoke-free campus and to please put out the tobacco product. Hand them an informational card if you have one available. Let them know we have resources to help. If they refuse to cease smoking, walk away. Do not get into a confrontational situation. The enforcement will be conducted by members of the University Police Department.

  • A Princeton Review Best Western College
  • Council for Christian Colleges & Universities  
  • Center for Student Opportunity: Promoting a College-Bound Culture
  • US News Best Colleges
  • Military Friendly
  • college_of_christian_distinction_badge20172018
  • College Choice Best Christian Colleges and University
  • University and College Accountability Network