Each applicant should provide an HSU Application, a formal letter of application including a statement of teaching philosophy that includes an integration of faith and learning; a complete curriculum vitae; evidence of teaching effectiveness; a transcript of all college course work; and three letters of reference. The completed application package should be emailed both to HSU Human Resources at
and to Regina Wheat (Administrative Assistant, Cynthia Ann Parker College of Liberal Arts) at
. Questions may be directed to: Prof. Melissa Milliorn, at
or (325) 670-1281.
Director of Field Education & Faculty Position in Social Work
The candidate selected will begin this position August 2018. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Chair of the Department of Social Work; Dean of the Cynthia Ann Parker College of Liberal Arts
HSU CHRISTIAN STANDARD REQUIREMENT FOR EMPLOYMENT:
Candidate must profess a Christian Faith, maintain membership in a local congregation, and respect the values and distinctives central to the historically Baptist identity of HSU.
The job is sedentary in nature. Must be able to sit for extended periods while performing office and computer operations. Must be able to stand or sit during teaching in typical classroom settings.
- Doctoral Degree in Social Work preferred. Master's Degree in Social Work from a CSWE-accredited program plus two years of post-MSW experience and licensure are required.
- Familiarity with Council of Social Work Education (CSWE) Educational Policies and Accreditation Standards
- Successful record of undergraduate instruction preferred
- Experience in field education coordination preferred
- Must be supportive of the University's Statement of Purpose (See
- Must be a practicing Christian of high moral character
- Must have a high energy level and genuine affection for students
- Strong written and oral communication skills, as well as excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- This faculty position is approved to be tenure track, given that the candidate satisfies sufficient qualifications for the position
- The candidate selected will report directly to the Chair of the Social Work Department
- Normal teaching load will include 3 courses, including Field Seminar, in the Fall and Spring semesters
- Oversight as well as ongoing evaluation and development of the Field Education Program to ensure CSWE Educational Policies and Accreditation Standards are met
- Leadership in curriculum development and student assessment related to Field Education
- Coordination of field placements for students following the HSU Social Work policies and procedures
- Recruitment and selection of field placement agencies and field instructors to best meet student learning needs, educational and career goals
- Training of field instructors to include annual training with ongoing meetings or seminars at least 3 times each semester
- Conducting field evaluations of student performance in the field agency settings
- Collaborating or consulting with field instructors to track students' progress in the field agency setting
- Involvement in the community and the profession of social work to enhance professional relationships between the University and relevant professional partners
- Develop professional liaison relationships with community field agencies, organizations and professional social workers
- Serving as a mentor and role model to students as they adjust to their field experience and transition into professional social workers
- Providing opportunities for students to become involved in the community and the profession and to evaluate their overall field experience
- Advising social work students and potential social work majors/minors
- Assisting with recruitment and retention of students
- Participation in the Texas Field Educators Consortium, the Council on Social Work Education, and other relevant professional organizations
INFORMATION ABOUT HARDIN-SIMMONS UNIVERSITY AND ABILENE, TEXAS
: Hardin-Simmons University, located in Abilene, Texas, one hundred and fifty miles west of Ft. Worth, was founded in 1891 and currently enrolls approximately 2,300 students. The Department of Social Work is located within the Cynthia Ann Parker College of Liberal Arts and offers an undergraduate degree in Social Work that is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education. Abilene is located on Interstate 20 and home to 120,000 friendly folks. For more information about the Abilene area, see
For more information concerning benefits offered to HSU employees, see the
HSU Benefits Summary
on the HSU website.