“Share Light: Hope. Community. Healing.” is a student art competition that allows our students to showcase their personal art to encourage the HSU community to be transparent in their journey through pain toward healing and hope.
The 2019 event will be held Thursday, April 4, from 7-9 p.m. in the Moody Jennings Lounge and 2nd floor computer lab.
The event offers:
- Free Specialty Coffee
- Coffee Mugs
- Experiential Painting
- Faculty & Staff Stories
- Art Exhibit/Contest & Voting
- The competition is open to currently enrolled HSU students only. Students of any major/discipline are welcomed to submit their art.
- Exhibit of art work will be at the 2nd floor computer lab in Moody at HSU during the Share Light Event from 7-9 p.m.
- Event will be held on Thursday, April 4, from 7-9 p.m. Student voting will be Thursday, April 4, on the second floor of Moody at HSU. Voting will be done by Judges on Wednesday and Thursday, April 3 & 4, for the 1st and 2nd place winners. Voting for the Fan Favorite will be done by students and faculty votes during the Share Light event. Winners will be announced at 9 p.m.
- Each student can submit up to two (2) works of art. Each student may only win one (1) award in each category.
- Before artwork will be accepted for consideration, each student artist must submit an entry form. Entry forms may be found at Share Light Entry Form Submissions will be considered in the order that they are turned in; once it is deemed that display space in the exhibit area has been filled, no additional pieces will be accepted.
- Artwork must be the original creation of the student entering it into the competition. The HSU Office of Counseling Services (OCS) will notify you if your artwork is accepted into the competition.
- Submissions may include any of the following: Painting, Drawing, Photography, Mixed Media, and Sculpture. Due to limited space in the gallery, we will not be able to accommodate pieces that are larger than 20 x 30 in. Work must have artist’s name/title of piece/medium use attached upon entry.
- Entry forms must be submitted by Friday, March 29, 2019. Works must be submitted by Monday, April 1, at 5 p.m. to the Office of Counseling Administrative Office (Moody 212). The office is open between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Late submissions will not be accepted.
- HSU OCS will be responsible for placement of all entries within the exhibit space.
- The contest winners will be announced Thursday, April 4, at 9 p.m. during the Share Light event.
- Awards: All winners will receive cash prizes
- 1st and 2nd place will be based on the scores of 3-4 judges from the Abilene community.
- Fan Favorite will be based on student and faculty vote
- All works of art must be picked up by Wednesday, April 10, between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. from the OCS Administrative office. Please bring a valid student ID to verify ownership of artwork.
- Neither OCS nor Hardin-Simmons University claim responsibility should, through no fault of their own, a piece of artwork be vandalized, stolen, lost, destroyed or otherwise damaged while the art is on display.
- Judging of the artwork will take place at the sole discretion of HSU OCS. Judges will be selected from the Department of Art as well as other individuals deemed qualified by OCS.
- Please be aware that your artwork will be moved and arranged for display. If you are entering a piece that is composed of more than one part and does not exceed the 20×30 inch size limit, you may request to schedule a time to arrange the pieces in a designated area.
- Title Card–Each artist shall receive a 3×5 inch index card with his or her artwork, which will include: the title of the work, the medium from which the work was created, and the artist’s name on the back of the card. This information will be displayed during the exhibition with the artist’s name hidden during the judging.
- Judging Process: A judge will give each piece three separate scores, one per category (listed below). The three scores are added together. The overall score of a work of art is determined by the total score given from all judges.
- Judged Categories:
- Creativity & Originality (10 pts.) — the act of grasping and nurturing inspiration.
- Craftsmanship & Skill (10 pts.) — the quality of what a person does. Craftsmanship is most admired when a person creates with skill or dexterity, whether with or without tools.
- Theme (10 pts.) — the degree to which the art captures or makes a statement around the theme “Love is Louder.”