• Graduation Requirements

    Application for Graduation

    The deadlines for filing an application for graduation are as follows:

    • May Graduation: Diploma Cards are due no later than October 1
      After October 1st - $25.00 late fee. After November 15 - $100.00 late fee
    • August Graduation: Diploma Cards are due no later than March 1
      After March 1st - $25.00 late fee. After July 15th - $100.00 late fee.
    • December Graduation: Diploma Cards are due no later than March 1
      After March 1st - $25.00 late fee. After April 15th - $100.00 late fee.

    A degree audit will be made after the Application for Graduation is received and the student will receive a letter indicating graduation requirements needed. The student should inform the Graduation Coordinator if his/her graduation date changes one month before graduation. A student’s name will appear on the program only once.

    Participation in Graduation Exercises

    All candidates for degrees are requested to participate in the commencement ceremony. Candidates must be enrolled in all courses required to complete the degree including chapel and Writing Proficiency.

    Minimum Hours Required

    A minimum of 124 semester hours is required for a baccalaureate degree, but some degrees require more than 124 semester hours. (Refer to departmental offerings for specific information.)

    Advanced Work

    A minimum of 42 semester hours in courses at the junior and/or senior (3000-4000) level must be completed before a bachelor’s degree is granted. At least 18 semester hours in the major field of study and at least six semester hours in the minor field of study must be advanced work. Work transferred from a junior college will not count toward the advanced hours requirement.

    Minimum Grade Point Average

    In order to graduate, a student must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.00 overall including a cumulative average of 2.00 in all work completed at HSU as well as in work in both the major and minor. Some majors including all teacher certification degrees require a higher GPA. Refer to the catalog for GPA required for the major.

    Incomplete Deadlines

    It is the responsibility of a candidate for graduation to see that all incomplete courses have been completed. Grades must be reported to the Registrar’s Office two weeks prior to the end of the semester of graduation.

    Residence Work

    A student transferring from a senior college or university who wishes to complete a degree from HSU must complete at least 25% of the credit hours required for the degree (excluding intercollegiate work) in residence on the HSU campus. At least twelve advanced hours in the major field, and six advanced hours in the minor field must be taken from the HSU campus when the major and/or minor fields are offered at HSU.

    Chapel-Assembly Credit

    The purpose of HSU chapel is to enlighten by faith the entire Hardin-Simmons community through true worship as we love God, one another, and our neighbors as ourselves. HSU students are required to accumulate 80 chapel credits in order to graduate (Nursing students must complete 40 credits). This averages to 10 chapels per semester. Approximately 20 credits can be earned in chapel in any given semester. In addition, there are alternative events such as plays, recitals, assemblies, concerts, and the Logsdon chapel service where a student can earn chapel credits. Students who attend an alternative chapel event only receive one credit per event. Attending the same play, concert, or recital several times will not earn any more than one credit. With prior approval from the Chaplain, students may also perform community service for chapel credit. Chapel credits from other institutions are non-transferrable. For each hour of course work that transfers to Hardin-Simmons, students will receive .65 chapel credits. In special circumstances (employment and family obligations), the Chapel Advisory Committee may be petitioned for a waiver of the chapel requirement. Contact the Chaplain’s Office to find out how to start the petition process. Semester exemptions are not granted. For more information, contact the Office of the University Chaplain at 671-2190. The deadline for completion of Chapel credits is 30 days prior to graduation date.

    Proficiency in Written English

    Each student must demonstrate proficiency in written English. The Writing Proficiency Exam is offered once per semester during the second week of the term on Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. Ordinarily during the second semester of the junior year (after having earned at least 75 hours) by writing an essay, which receives a passing score. Therefore, all students who have completed 75 or more semester hours will enroll in PROF 3000 and take the Writing Proficiency Exam. The fee for the test is not refundable. At least six semester hours of English composition must have been completed before taking the test. Those failing to satisfy the requirement in the final semester must enroll in English 2101 immediately upon notification of unsatisfactory performance. Students transferring from another regionally accredited institution which tests Writing Proficiency under requirements similar to those at Hardin-Simmons will be deemed to have satisfied this requirement if credit for Writing Proficiency is indicated on the transcript

    Transfer Work During the Senior Year

    A maximum of nine semester hours may be transferred from another senior institution during the senior year (last 30 hours), provided the student has met the minimum residence requirement. See also Post-Enrollment Transfer Credit. Official transcripts must be sent directly from the college or university attended to the Office of the Registrar. Proof of enrollment must be received by the Registrar 30 days prior to graduation to be eligible to participate in the Commencement ceremony.

    CLEP Policy

    Students may earn credit through satisfactory scores (as recommended by the American Council on Education) on the Subject Examinations as indicated in the university. (Note: Enrollment in the equivalent class prevents the student from attempting credit by examination in that class.) No CLEP tests can be taken after the last date to register for a course during a student’s last semester before graduation.

    Correspondence Credit

    No more than 12 hours of correspondence work may be accepted toward a baccalaureate degree at HSU. Correspondence work will not satisfy residence requirements.

    Statute of Limitations

    A student may graduate under the curriculum provisions of any single catalog in effect for any academic year for which the student was enrolled so long as the catalog selected is dated not more than five years prior to the student’s date of graduation unless those provisions have been changed in response to an external mandate by the state or by the relevant accrediting body.

    Requirements for a Second Baccalaureate Degree

    A student who desires to earn a second baccalaureate degree must complete the requirements of a single catalog in effect since entering school for the second degree under the statute of limitations. All of the components of the degree (foundational curriculum, Writing Proficiency, major, and minor) must be completed under the curriculum provisions of the catalog. A minimum of 30 semester hours beyond the first bachelor’s degree is required.

    Graduate Requirements

    Refer to Graduate Catalog or program handbook for specific details.

  • A Princeton Review Best Western College
  • Council for Christian Colleges & Universities  
  • Center for Student Opportunity: Promoting a College-Bound Culture
  • US News Best Colleges
  • Military Friendly
  • college_of_christian_distinction_badge20172018
  • College Choice Best Christian Colleges and University
  • University and College Accountability Network