• Frequently Asked Questions

    Are admission standards different for students with disabilities?

    No. Students with disabilities go through the regular admissions procedures. The Office for Students with Disabilities does not have a role in students with disabilities' admission to HSU.

    Does Hardin-Simmons University provide testing for learning disabilities or attention Deficit Disorder?

    Federal regulations do not require the University to diagnose disabilities. It is the responsibility of the student to advise the University of any perceived disability and to assume all costs associated with obtaining an adequate diagnosis and documentation of such disability. Testing must be obtained through an appropriate off-campus professional. You can find a partial listing of local professionals on the Documentation Criteria page.

    How do I know what documentation is needed?

    Applications for disability services and documentation criteria are available in the Office for Students with Disabilities. You must contact this office to get an application and find out what the documentation standards are for your disability.

    Does everyone at HSU have access to my disability information?

    No. Documentation of a disability furnished by the student is kept confidential and will be shared with University personnel only with the permission of the student, except as required by law. The student presents to appropriate faculty members written notification of the disability in the form of a Confidential Notification of Accommodations.

    What are my responsibilities as a disabled student?

    1. Apply and be accepted for admission at Hardin-Simmons University.
    2. Complete an application for the Disabled Student Support Program and return it along with current and sufficient documentation in the form of an evaluation performed by a qualified professional.
    3. After an application and sufficient documentation have been received, the student is required to meet with the Coordinator to discuss reasonable accommodations. In this meeting, letters of reasonable accommodation will be given to the qualified student.
    4. Qualified students must provide HSU instructors with a letter of accommodation from the Disabled Student Support Program and meet with them to discuss the implementation of reasonable accommodations in a timely manner. It is strongly recommended that this be done in the first two weeks of class.

    If a student registers with the office for students with disabilities, will it show up on transcripts and/or diplomas?

    No. Students who receive reasonable accommodations do not receive a modified degree, they have earned the same degree as all other graduates of HSU. The same transcript and diploma is issued to all students. Accommodations are not noted on transcripts and/or diplomas.

    Will the Office of Disability Services excuse absences?

    No. Students must follow the HSU attendance policy which is outlined in the catalog. A statement concerning absences may be added to a letter of accommodation to explain circumstances to instructors, but excused absences are at the department's discretion.

  • A Princeton Review Best Western College
  • Council for Christian Colleges & Universities  
  • Center for Student Opportunity: Promoting a College-Bound Culture
  • US News Best Colleges
  • Military Friendly
  • college_of_christian_distinction_badge20172018
  • College Choice Best Christian Colleges and University
  • University and College Accountability Network