• Frequently Asked Questions

    Who must be advised?

    All HSU students must meet with their advisor before they can be cleared to register for classes.

    Who is my advisor?

    Undeclared students will meet with an advisor in the Academic Advising Center (2nd floor of Sandefer Memorial). Declared students are assigned an advisor by their department. Find step by step instructions for checking HSU Central to find out who is your advisor.

    Do I need to make an appointment to see my advisor?

    Not necessarily, but it definitely helps. Making an appointment ensures that your advisor will be in their office when you go and you will receive your advisor’s full attention. Don’t wait until the week before school starts to see an advisor. Many classes are closed at this point which can cause delays to your degree plan.

    What should I expect at my advising appointment?

    Academic advising is more than just creating a schedule of classes. Advisors can help you decide between class options, choose a major, and connect you with other campus resources. Feel free to discuss your goals/plans with your advisor and ask any questions you may have. Advisors are here to help you make the most of your HSU experience.

    What is the Foundational Curriculum?

    HSU has a set of core classes called the Foundational Curriculum which all students must fulfill to graduate. You can find the details of the Foundational Curriculum on page 20 in the most recent catalog or on your degree worksheet.

    How do I declare a major/degree?

    Declaring a degree is not synonymous with declaring a major. To declare a degree, all students are to confer with their advisor and decide on a major, minor (if applicable) and a degree ( BA, BS, BBS etc) and submit an Application for Declaring a Degree no later than the completion of 30 semester credit hours. The form is available from the Registrar’s Office, 1st floor of the Sandefer Memorial building.

    Common Errors in Filling Out Application for Declaring Degree

    How do I change my major?

    Pick up the Application for Declaring a Degree from the Registrar's Office (first floor of Sandefer Memorial). Use the Listing of Academic Advisors by Major to find out who your new advisor is. The form will need to be signed by the advisor in the NEW major. Then, return the form to the Registrar's office.

    How Do I Drop a Class?

    Stop by the Registrar's Office (first floor of Sandefer Memorial) and pick up the Schedule Change Form. Then have the form signed by the professor of the class you want to drop as well as your advisor. Then return the form to the Registrar's Office.

    Where do I find information about HSU’s requirements?

    The HSU catalog is an excellent source of information! You can find answers to all your questions and more including:

    • Academic calendar and important registration deadlines
    • Office contact information
    • Cost of attendance and scholarship requirements
    • Every degree plan requirement that HSU offers
    • Course descriptions and prerequisites as well as semesters offered
    • And much, much more
  • A Princeton Review Best Western College
  • Council for Christian Colleges & Universities  
  • Center for Student Opportunity: Promoting a College-Bound Culture
  • US News Best Colleges
  • Military Friendly
  • college_of_christian_distinction_badge20172018
  • College Choice Best Christian Colleges and University
  • University and College Accountability Network