Requests to view, read, or handle HSU Rare Books will be approved under the following guidelines:
- Rare books and materials do not circulate.
- Research for non-HSU scholars may be scheduled by making a written request on institutional letterhead and addressed to the Dean of University Libraries. The researcher should indicate which volumes will be needed, why the HSU volumes are requested, and what information is being sought. A librarian will determine if there is a compelling reason for the researcher to consult the rare materials, and schedule an appointment with the researcher.
- HSU classes may tour the Fine and Rare Books Room if accompanied by a librarian and scheduled in advance. The materials may be viewed through the glass cabinets or display cases.
- HSU faculty members may schedule volumes to be viewed outside of the cabinets or display cases, if the class curriculum is connected to the particular rare book requested.
- HSU students and members of the faculty wishing to use rare materials should make the request to the Dean of Librariesindicating which volumes will be needed. A librarian will determine if there is a compelling reason for the researcher to consult the rare materials, and schedule an appointment with the researcher.
- Rare books taken out of their storage area will not be left unattended at any time.
- The copying of rare materials is not allowed.