2017-2018 Student Handbook

Page 72 of 107 Updated 1.25.17 11.5 Protection Against Improper Disclosure Information about student views, beliefs, and political associations that professors acquire in the course of their work as instructors, advisors, and counselors should be confidential. Protection against improper disclosure is a serious professional obligation. Judgments of ability and character may be provided under appropriate circumstances, normally with the knowledge or consent of the student. 11.6 Responsibility to Do Own Work Written or other work which a student submits in a course must be a product of his/her own efforts. Cheating, plagiarism, or other forms of academic dishonesty will not be permitted. 11.7 Academic Grievance Policy The following measures should be taken with respect to an academic grievance pertaining to a course offered by the University. A student may seek remediation for the following: (a) Grade Appeal: A student who feels that the grading policy for a class is unfair or has been unfairly administered and that the result is a course grade lower than deserved has the right to contest the professor’s decision. This process is only for appealing the final course average; consequently, grades on individual projects may not be challenged. (b) Course-Related Concern: Any complaint, beyond the parameters of a grade appeal, that involves an experience occurring within the context of an academic course offered by the University also comes under the purview of the Academic Grievance Policy. Arbitration for either (a) Grade Appeal or (b) a Course-Related Concern follows the same procedure, with exceptions noted below. Informal Measures: The University encourages matters to be resolved informally and judiciously whenever possible. If such an agreement is unable to be reached, then a student may file a formal complaint. Each step must be taken in order. Failure to follow the procedure may obviate the appeal. Step 1. The student discusses the matter with the professor. If possible, the matter is reconciled at this point. Step 2. If dissatisfied with this discussion, the student voices the concern to the department head in a conference scheduled by the student. (If no department head exists, or if the department head is a disputant, then the student consults with the dean of the college or school in which the course under consideration is offered.) The department head (or, if applicable, the dean) discusses the matter with the professor. Step 1 and Step 2 attempt to find an amicable resolution to the academic grievance informally—be it either (a) Grade Appeal or (b) a Course-Related Concern—without a formal, written complaint. If no resolution occurs in the first two steps, then formal measures may be taken beginning with Step 3. Formal Measures: Step 3. If no resolution occurs at the department level (Step 2), the student then submits a written petition to the dean of the area. If the complaint is against a dean, the complaint will go to the Provost. The student’s letter of petition must include a straightforward narrative (one to three pages in length) detailing (a) the circumstances surrounding the contested grade or course-related concern, (b) reasons why the student