2017-2018 Student Handbook

Page 64 of 107 Updated 1.25.17 (4) Was arrested or taken into custody by law enforcement officers while under the influence of alcohol or other drugs or was charged with violating a federal, state, or local law related to alcohol or other drug use (5) Because of previous violations (not related to alcohol or other drugs), the current alcohol or other drug violation might result in the student being placed on suspension or a more severe sanction (6) Hosted or in any way assisted or promoted a gathering that included underage drinking or drunkenness 2.2(b). The first time a student is charged with violating the university policy regarding the attempt to obtain or the use, possession, sale, or distribution of any narcotic or other controlled substance not lawfully prescribed by a health care provider. 2.2(c). The second time a student is charged with violating the university policy regarding: (1) The consumption, possession, sale, or distribution of alcoholic beverages (2) Being in the presence of alcohol, alcohol containers, controlled substances, or drug-related paraphernalia on university property A parent or guardian will be notified in writing by the Dean of Students after it has been determined that a violation has occurred. Before notifying the parents or guardians, every effort will be made to inform the student and attempt to have the student make the first contact. This is consistent with the general philosophy that supports students developing independence and personal accountability. However, in some situations consultation with the student or first contact by the student may not be possible or appropriate and in such cases the university is not required to alert the student when it has notified his/her parent or legal guardian. In other situations, after consulting with the student, the Dean of Students may determine that notifying the parents/guardians may be harmful to the student and in such cases the university is not obligated to make notification. This policy does not preclude the university’s contacting parents or guardians for other policy violations that may endanger the health and well-being of a student or other individuals in the community. 2.3 Treatment, Re-Entry, or Rehabilitation Programs The following agencies offer counseling and treatment in the area of substance abuse. The Dean of Students may refer students to choose from one of these agencies or the family physician or medical provider for alcohol treatment as part of disciplinary sanctions before re-entry to HSU is allowed. HSU does not inspect or certify these programs, but encourages students and family members to do their own research and find the one that best works for them. 2.3(a). Abilene Regional Council Center on Alcohol & Drug Abuse, 104 Pine Street, Suite 212 , Abilene, TX 79601, 325-673-2242 2.3(b). Family Psychology Center, Hardin-Simmons University, HSU Box 16115, Abilene, TX 79698, 325-670- 1531 2.3(c). First Baptist Church of Abilene, Ministry of Counseling, 1333 North 2nd, Abilene TX 79601, 325-672- 9999 2.3(d). Shades of Hope Treatment Center, Corner of Pecan and Mulberry, Buffalo Gap, TX 79508, 325-572- 3843 2.3(e). Pastoral Care & Counseling, 751 Hickory, Abilene, TX 79601, 325-672-5683 2.3(f). Serenity House of Abilene, 1546 North 2nd, Abilene, TX 79601, 325-673-6489 2.3(g). West Texas Rehab Center, 4601 Hartford, Abilene, TX 79605, 325-793-3400 2.4 Alcohol and Student Conduct Sanctions Students violating the HSU policies around alcohol and drug use will be required to pay for and participate in a designated alcohol education program. The fee for the program will be paid to the cashier desk at Hardin- Simmons and the information for the course and completion deadlines will be detailed in the student conduct