2017-2018 Student Handbook

Page 51 of 107 Updated 1.25.17 cancellation or withdrawals. An email from a university-issued email address with the details of the cancellation or withdrawal, including supporting reason and future plans, is acceptable. Eviction By agreeing to the lease for a university owned apartment or house, the university may, for cause or not, give notice to residents that they will be evicted from the property. Students who have not made rent payments, have stepped out of communication with university staff, or refuse to comply with HSU policy may be asked to leave university housing at any time. Housing Agreement or Lease Termination Upon termination date, HSU student residents will be required to vacate the premises unless HSU and the student resident formally extend their existing HSU Lease & Housing Agreement. Student residents will not be permitted to terminate their housing agreement or lease before the termination date unless: • There is a change in marital status. If the student resident has a change in marital status, the housing agreement or lease may be terminated by the Office of Residence Life upon the receipt of a copy of a valid state issued marriage license. • There is a military deployment. If the student resident is deployed as an active duty member of a state or federal armed service, the housing agreement or lease may be terminated. • The student graduates. If the student resident completes his/her degree at HSU and walks at a graduation service before the termination date, he/she can terminate the housing agreement or lease. Use of Contracted Housing Space The HSU Lease & Housing Agreement permits the residential spaces to be used and occupied by the student resident exclusively, as a private dwelling. No part of the residential space may be used by the student resident for the purpose of carrying on any business, profession, or trade of any kind, or for any purpose other than as a private dwelling. In designated family housing, HSU defines immediate family for the purposes of their HSU Lease & Housing Agreement as the student resident’s spouse and children only. Children must be under the age of 18 in order to reside on the premises unless the student resident receives prior written consent from the Office of Residence Life. As a part of the HSU Lease & Housing agreement, student residents may not transfer, sub-let, or grant any license to use the residential space or any part of the premises without the prior written consent of HSU. Any such transfer, sub-let or license agreed upon without the prior written consent of HSU, or an assignment or sub- letting by operation of law, is considered to be absolutely null and void and will, at HSU’s option, terminate the student resident’s HSU Lease & Housing Agreement. Hazardous Materials Student residents are not allowed not keep on the premises any item of a dangerous, flammable or explosive character that might unreasonably increase the danger of fire or explosion on the premises or that might be considered hazardous or extra hazardous by any responsible insurance company. Emergency Maintenance For emergency maintenance, the Resident Assistant, Residence Director, or Campus Police should be contacted as soon as possible. If an issue goes unreported, the university reserves the right to charge the student for additional damage caused by the delayed reporting. In order to facilitate maintenance work being completed, resident agrees to: 1. Not obstruct the driveways, sidewalks, courts, entry ways, stairs and/or halls, which shall be used for the purposes of ingress and egress only.