2017-2018 Student Handbook

Page 35 of 107 Updated 1.25.17 When there are sufficient grounds to believe that a theft of personal, university, or organizational property has occurred, official university representatives, in lieu of civil authorities, may access the student's room. Antennas, Satellite Dishes and Cable TV Students may not have cable or satellite dishes in campus housing unless it is supplied by the university. Residents may not place any antenna, wiring or cabling outside their rooms or living area. Cable and/or IPTV equipment, including adapter boxes provided by the university are considered university property. Missing or damaged equipment will be charged to all the residents of that living area unless the responsible individual(s) is identified. Student Health The university does not supply prescription drugs or personal nursing care. In the event a student is ill or in need of medical advice, the student has the following options: • Call his/her personal physician’s office. • Go to Abilene Community Health Center, 1749 Pine St., 325-696-0600 • Go to Dr. J Express Care Clinic, 1634 State Hwy. 351, 325-676-1100. • Go to Afford-a-care Clinic, 3101 S. 27 th St., 325-704-5037. • Go to the South Side Walk-In Care Clinic, 1665 Antilley Rd. Suite #120, 325-793-5148. • In case of an emergency: Go to Hendrick Trauma Center, 1900 Pine, 325-670-2151. Students should notify the Residence Director if they need assistance contacting a health care provider. Off-Campus Health Care Students desiring medical services may go to the physician of their choice at their own expense. Before securing a physician, students should have their health insurance card to locate which providers are available through their insurance. The nearest hospital to the campus is Hendrick Medical Center, which is two blocks away. The university cannot assume responsibility for a student’s medical care but, in an emergency, reserves the right to seek medical attention for the student. In the event of serious illness, the university may require the removal of the student to a private hospital. An examination by a physician to assess a student’s physical and mental status may be required at the discretion of the university. The expenses for such private medical or hospital care will be borne by the student. Parents and students are encouraged to make financial arrangements in advance with a personal physician and file the physician’s name with the residence hall director. Illness During Class Time Students who miss classes because of illness should contact their professors before the class meets. If the professor requires proof of illness, the student must be seen by a medical professional while ill. An absence because of illness still counts as an absence in the class, and the student is still responsible for all course material presented in or assigned on the day of the absence and will be held accountable for such material in the determination of course grades. Contagious or Serious Diseases It is the policy of the university that students with contagious, infectious, long-term, life-threatening, or other serious diseases may continue their enrollment as long as, with reasonable accommodations, they are