2017-2018 Student Handbook

Page 34 of 107 Updated 1.25.17 Beds and Mattresses HSU provides built-in standard twin beds and mattresses in the residence hall living areas that must remain in the designed configuration. The University Place Apartments and Behrens Hall are furnished with standard twin beds and mattresses that can be re-configured in a number of ways. Water beds are not permitted in university housing. Garbage and Recycling Each resident is responsible for the frequent and proper disposal of their waste. Garbage and recycling receptacles are provided in each residence hall commons and in the parking lot areas of several living areas. Students are encouraged to recycle aluminum, glass and plastic bottles, paper, and cardboard. Electronic devices are not considered regular waste and must be disposed of according to state and local law. Chemical or biological hazardous waste must be disposed of properly. If a student is unsure of the appropriate means to dispose of something, they should consult their RD. Health and Wellness The responsibility for maintaining a clean and healthy living environment in personal residential spaces on the HSU campus is the responsibility of the assigned resident(s). Due to the nature of shared living spaces, ongoing building maintenance, and to help maintain appropriate health and sanitary levels in their personal living area, all residential students are responsible for cleaning their bedroom and the common areas (bathrooms, kitchen, hallways, and living room as appropriate) in their living area (suite, apartment, or house) on a regular basis. Living areas will be inspected periodically for cleanliness, hygienic conditions, repairs, and maintenance. Standards of cleanliness will be communicated by the Resident Assistant or other Residence Life Staff. While school is in session, students will be notified at least 24 hours in advance of the time of a living area check. If residents are present, the inspection will be done without them, and documentation of anything lacking will be left for the students present or e-mailed directly to their HSU email address. During the check, Resident Assistants or other university personnel conduct a non-invasive scan of the room. They do not open drawers, closets, or boxes, but may open refrigerators for health reasons and may move items away from electrical outlets for safety. Items that will be removed if found include, but are not limited to, microwaves, “daisy-chained” electrical cords, alcohol and alcohol paraphernalia, and any illegal items. Students whose rooms do not comply with minimum standards may be referred to the Student Conduct Process. Access to Rooms, Apartments, or Houses When university staff reasonably fear harm to life, safety, health, property, or have a reasonable suspicion related to a policy violation, resident rooms, apartments, or houses may be entered by an official university representative without prior notice. Residents are expected to open the doors to their rooms for an administrator, Residence Director, Resident Assistant, or facilities personnel. If a resident does not open the door after the personnel identifies themselves, the personnel may unlock the door. Rooms in university residence halls or university-owned residences occupied by a student will not be searched by university personnel without the consent of the occupying student except upon authorization of the Dean of Students or designated agent. Personal surveillance cameras or recording devices are not permitted in any HSU living area. During break periods, university staff has the right, without advance notice, to enter resident rooms, apartments, or houses for routine maintenance and inspection. When they have entered resident rooms and find items that violate state laws, federal laws, local laws, or campus policies the items (including but not limited to firearms, fireworks, weapons, drugs, etc.) will be confiscated. Residents may be referred to the Student Conduct Process.