2017-2018 Student Handbook

Page 32 of 107 Updated 1.25.17 A student whose roommate leaves after registration or whose roommate does not show up will be given the option of taking a new roommate, moving in with another student who needs a roommate, or paying for single occupancy in the room (as available). By the 8th class day of the semester, students who lack a roommate will be invited by their Residence Director to discuss options for combining rooms with other students. The Residence Director will make the final determination, though the student will have an opportunity to speak into the process. After this process, any student who is not placed into another room should expect to have a roommate placement at some point throughout the year, leaving the second set of furniture and additional living space clear. Extenuating circumstances will be given consideration at the discretion of the Residence Director. Residence Hall and Room Entry To promote a safe on-campus living environment, each residence hall and the parking lot surrounding the University Place Apartments is equipped with a card-swipe entry system. When doors or gates are locked, students gain entry into their living area by swiping their ID card. A student loaning another individual their ID card compromises the safety of the living area and is subject to the Student Conduct Process. The same applies to unauthorized guests and to residents who entertain unauthorized non-residents in their building after hours. Using windows as an entrance or exit is prohibited except in emergency situations. Keys Students receive keys from the Residence Life Office upon check-in. Report any lost key to Residence Life immediately. If a key is lost, and must be replaced, residents are charged a $50 fee for replacement costs. The fee is to be paid in the Business Office and the receipt brought to Residence Life. For safety and security reasons, students are asked not to attach keys to an ID card and are not permitted to lend out their keys to someone else. Theft of keys is a serious offense and will result in disciplinary action. If a student is locked out of their room, they can gain access by contacting a Residence Life staff member or, if unavailable, calling the HSU Campus Police. There is a $20 charge for this service. Students will be required to show an ID in order to gain access to their rooms. Resident Assistants are not issued master keys and may take some time to complete a lock-out request. Propping Doors Open to Living Areas At no time will anyone prop exterior doors open to university residences. Exceptions to this are on move-in day in August, and move-out at year end, and then only during the daylight hours. Students may leave their bedroom door open while they are in the room, but may not leave the door propped while unattended, and it is recommended that doors be locked when leaving the room. Tampering with any lock, latch, door frame, hinges, or any other part of the doors as to render them unable to close and latch, is strictly prohibited. Because such tampering places students at risk, any living area with a door propped open or other signs of tampering by the residents may be referred to the Student Conduct Process. Care of Residential Living Spaces Each resident is responsible for the care of their room and for the shared spaces inside their living area, house, or apartment. Upon check-in, each student will be able to report damages and the condition of their assigned living space; these evaluations should be taken seriously and must be filled out accurately to avoid paying for damages that occurred prior to arrival. Damage to rooms will be charged to the occupants of the room unless the party responsible for the damage is identified as someone other than the occupants. Damage to a suite, wing, or to the entire hall will be charged to the occupants of the area damaged if the person(s) responsible for the damage are not identified. Students are not to remove furnishings from any room or from any of the common areas without permission of the Residence Director.