2017-2018 Student Handbook

Page 27 of 107 Updated 1.25.17 Living off campus is a privilege gained by demonstrating personal responsibility and remaining in good standing as a student at Hardin-Simmons. Incoming and continuing students under the age of 21 who have not met their four-semester residency requirement and are granted permission to live with their parents must maintain the following conditions in order to establish that they can thrive at HSU without living in the residence halls: • Maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA. • Attend 10 chapels per semester. (Chapel credit for community service or other programs outside of the weekly chapel program do not count for this requirement.) • Incoming students for the fall semester must attend all of the first-year chapel series for new students (generally the first six Thursdays – see chapel calendar for more details). • Schedule an appointment with the Department of Student Success located on the second floor of the Moody Student Center. This must be completed within the first 4 weeks of the semester to review their academic plan, identify tutoring/study opportunities, and ask questions related to academic success. • Join, and be an active participant in, one registered student organization or be involved in a sport, theater, or music program that is active that semester. If the sport is not in season for the majority of that semester, students must participate in a club. • The student must not have been in violation of HSU policies or had violations of the law on or off campus. Students who fail to meet these criteria will be notified during the break between the semesters, will be required to move on campus before the next semester begins, and will be required to continue living on campus through their fourth semester at HSU without the opportunity for an exception. After the student has completed four semesters on campus, they may request to live off campus again. Housing Exception Appeals Hardin-Simmons is a residential campus that places a high value on students living in community. As such, exceptions outside the parameters listed in this handbook’s HSU Residency Policy section will be rare and reserved for very special circumstances. Housing appeals may be filed once a year and will be reviewed by the Residence Life staff. Students who wish to apply for an out-of-the-ordinary exemption to live off campus may apply to the Appeal Committee by submitting a letter along with their Housing Exception Application on the Res Life Central Housing System addressed to Residence Life. The uploaded letter should include a request to be exempt from the policy and all pertinent details of their exceptional circumstances. Written requests must be submitted at least three weeks before the first day of class for the upcoming semester. Residence Life will review cases within three weeks of receiving requests. (Please note that financial difficulty does not qualify for an out-of-the-ordinary exemption from the housing policy.) Additional documentation or a meeting with parent(s) may be required in order to make a determination. Because HSU has housing including apartments and housing that can meet the needs of disabilities, married housing, privacy concerns, and cooking needs, it may be determined that a student is still required to live on campus but assigned to an area that fits specific disabilities or individual requests. If a student has evidence of discrimination or inequity in the housing appeal process, they may make a final appeal in writing to the Dean of Students within five business days of the appeal decision. The Dean of Students