Background Image
Table of Contents Table of Contents
Previous Page  7 / 32 Next Page
Basic version Information
Show Menu
Previous Page 7 / 32 Next Page
Page Background

History

HSU was established in 1891 as a private, coeducational, liberal arts

university. Affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas and

accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association

of Colleges and Schools, students of all faiths, ethnicities, races, and

walks of life are welcome.

The

Bell Tower

The bell hanging in this tower originally served as a timepiece for

the campus. Located in the tower of Old Main, the first building on

campus, the bell was rung to awaken students and to remind them

of class times. The 700-pound masterpiece was also rung on special

occasions such as outstanding athletic victories, and it could be heard

a mile away from campus. Mrs. Lucile Sandefer, the wife of long-time

university president Dr. J.D. Sandefer, secured the building of the tower

to preserve the history and significance of the bell.

The

Cannon

The cannon, a.k.a. Arizona Bill, is a tribute to the HSU students who left

the safety of their classrooms in the early 1900s to fight in World War I. It

was christened Arizona Bill in memory of Kenneth Burns, an HSU student

who was killed during WWI as he carried a message through heavy

weapons fire. This cannon was used during the Spanish American War

as well as WWI and was refurbished and dedicated in 1958. The paved

area around the cannon makes up the Fort Babe Shaw Memorial and is

inscribed with the names of 13 HSU alumni who died during WWI.

Centennial

Square

The Centennial Square was built to celebrate the 100th birthday of

HSU. The senior class of 1991 placed a time capsule under the plaza.

Written on the bricks embedded in the plaza are the names of many

proud HSU alumni and friends. It is encircled by the Alumni Wall which

displays the names of all HSU graduates since 1895.

HSU

History & Traditions

7