2017-2018 Graduate Studies Catalog

37 C YNTHIA A NN P ARKER C OLLEGE OF L IBERAL A RTS English Dr. Jason King, Program Director The Master of Arts degree in English prepares students for further graduate work, teaching, creative writing, or other related opportunities. The degree consists of a major in English. A minor is optional; however, a minor is not recommended for students anticipating doctoral work in English. If a student chooses to include minor hours, minor fields include counseling and human development, education, finance and economics, history, family ministry, psychology, and religion. English may also be offered as a minor on the Master of Education degree. The department will consider other minors upon student request. Prerequisites Students must hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university and present 18 upper-division hours in English. Students who do not present 18 upper-division English hours will take leveling work prescribed by the program director. Students required to complete leveling work will receive provisional admission. Admission Criteria Applicants for the Master of Arts degree in English must hold a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university. Admission to the program requires the program director’s endorsement, which will be based on evaluation of the following elements: 1. Prior academic performance, evaluated in regard to (1) overall GPA, (2) GPA in all course work in English, (3) overall Upper-level GPA, (4) fulfillment of necessary prerequisites, (5) previous graduate course work, and (6) the dates of completion of previous academic work. 2. If required, a score on the verbal subtest of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Required only if evidence of undergraduate academic performance is insufficient to clearly suggest the potential for success at the graduate level. 3. Writing sample. A research paper from an undergraduate advanced English course will suffice. 4. Three letters of recommendation. Early Admission Option Undergraduates attending HSU who have completed all English courses required for a major in English may, with permission of the program director, take up to six hours in English at the 5000 or 6000 level during their senior year and, if completed with a grade of C or higher, apply these hours toward the Master of Arts degree in English from HSU; however, permission to take graduate-level English courses as an undergraduate does not mean automatic admission toHSU’s Graduate Program in English. Regular application procedures to the graduate program would be necessary following the completion of the undergraduate degree. Foreign Language Requirement A student pursuing an MA in English must show proficiency in the reading of at least one foreign language approved by the department of English. The requirement may be credited if a student has successfully completed, either as an undergraduate or as a graduate student, three courses in one foreign language, for example, SPAN 1401, SPAN 1402, and SPAN 2301. Alternatively, a student may satisfy the requirement by passing a translation exam, which can be arranged with the program director.