2017-2018 Graduate Studies Catalog

27 closing of the semester in question. Included are such items as grade changes and incompletes. Note: No student may graduate with an I or IP grade on his/her transcript. Any grade change must be reported to the Registrar’s Office at least two weeks prior to the end of the semester of graduation. It is the responsibility of a candidate for graduation to complete any course in which an Incomplete or In Progress grade was given in sufficient time for the faculty member to grade the student’s work . Grades of CR and NC The grade of CR is given for Thesis, Thesis Renewal, and Professional Project. CR denotes satisfactory progress as determined by the instructor or thesis advisor. The grade of NC is given for selected courses such as Thesis and Thesis Renewal. NC denotes no credit due to lack of satisfactory progress as determined by the instructor or thesis advisor. Note: CR and NC do not count in calculating the student’s grade point average. Class Attendance Students, whether present or absent, are responsible for all material presented in or assigned for courses, and will be held accountable for such material in the determination of course grades. Absences for athletic or school related participation are counted as any other absence, and all absences, whether athletic-related or not, should not exceed 25% of the class meetings and/or laboratory sessions scheduled for a course. Regular and punctual attendance, therefore, is expected and essential to success in a course. Accordingly, absence from more than 25% of class meetings and/or laboratory sessions scheduled for a course (including absences because of athletic participation) is regarded as excessive, and a grade of F may be assigned as deemed appropriate by the professor. Grade Reports Grade reports are posted on HSU Central at the close of each semester and at the end of each summer term. Withdrawal During a Semester A student who finds it necessary to withdraw from the university before the end of the semester must secure the proper form for withdrawal through the Office of the Registrar. The form requires approval by the Business and Financial Aid Offices. If procedure is not followed, the student is automatically assigned a grade of F in all courses. However, no student may withdraw after the last date of withdrawal specified in the academic calendar. Acceptable Academic Progress (Criteria for acceptable academic progress may be superseded by program-specific guidelines. Please see individual programs for details.) In order to maintain acceptable academic progress, graduate students must maintain a 3.0 grade point average in all graduate work (when courses are repeated, only the most recent grade will be used to calculate grade points and semester hours) and may not obtain a grade of D, F, or WF in any graduate work. Should any of these situations occur, the student will be placed on academic probation. Financial aid has requirements regarding minimum completion of hours. Withdraw from a course (or courses) will affect the student’s eligibility for financial aid in subsequent semesters. (See page 14.) Academic Probation When placed on academic probation, the student’s graduate advisory committee must consider the student’s potential for successful completion of the program and make a recommendation to the dean of graduate studies. A student may not be graduated while on academic probation. To return to good academic standing, the student must satisfy the dictates of their graduate advisory