8 H ISTORY OF HSU Hardin-Simmons University provides the opportunity for a quality education in a Christian environment for all qualified men and women. Hardin-Simmons, a doctoral (comprehensive university level V) with colleges of liberal arts and business, schools of education, music, nursing, science, and theology, a seminary, and a graduate school, is fully accredited and holds membership in good standing in the appropriate agencies as listed in this catalog. Graduates have been singularly successful in being admitted to graduate and professional schools and have been readily employed in business, education, and professional fields. Located in Abilene, Texas, Hardin-Simmons has contributed to the development of the West and helped establish a city and area where cultural, educational, and spiritual values are highly regarded. Two other church-related universities in the city share with Hardin-Simmons an interchange of courses, library facilities, and extracurricular activities. A city civic center, symphony orchestra, three museums, community theatre groups, a county coliseum, and progressive leadership afford an active cultural environment in a metropolitan population of 125,000. Founded in 1891 as Abilene Baptist College, renamed Simmons College in honor of the first major donor, Dr. James B. Simmons, a Baptist minister of New York City, and later named Hardin- Simmons University in recognition of gifts byMr. and Mrs. John G. Hardin of Burkburnett, Texas, the university has become well established with a growing endowment and modern facilities. The compact and beautiful campus is known as the Forty Acres. The Rupert and Pauline Richardson Library, the Frost Center for the Visual Arts, the Logsdon School of Theology Building and Chapel, the Johnson Building for the Kelley College of Business, the Connally Missions Center, the Lee Hemphill Music Building, the Elwin L. Skiles Social Sciences Building, the Holland Health Sciences Academy Building and the Physician Assistant Program Building are among the latest additions to the campus. Originally founded by the Sweetwater Baptist Association, the university has been affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas since 1941. Throughout its history, Hardin-Simmons University has emphasized religious training and spiritual values; hundreds of preachers, missionaries, and directors of religious education and music are among the alumni. The foundation agreement reads in part that the school’s purpose shall be “To bring young men and women to Christ; to teach them of Christ; to train them for Christ.” G RADUATE S TUDIES Graduate study at Hardin-Simmons University was established in 1926 by action of the Board of Trustees. Graduate programs leading to the degrees of Master of Arts, Master of Business Administration, Master of Business Administration in Entrepreneurship, Master of Divinity, Master of Education, Doctor (Ed.D.) of Leadership, Master of Music, Master of Physician Assistant Studies, Doctor of Physical Therapy, Master of Science, and Master of Science in Nursing are available. The policies of the Graduate School are developed by the graduate faculty and administered by the dean of graduate studies. Students in graduate programs at Hardin-Simmons University will: 1. Increase knowledge and competency in a field of specialization. 2. Develop a spirit of inquiry and the capacity for original and independent thought.