Table of Contents Table of Contents
Previous Page  28 / 154 Next Page
Show Menu
Previous Page 28 / 154 Next Page
Page Background


For the Master of Divinity degree’s special policy for transfer work and for transfer work from a

previous master’s degree in religion, please see Logsdon Seminary Catalog. For the Physical

Therapy policy for transfer work, see page 125

Distance Education for Out-of-State Enrollment

On October 29, 2010, the U.S. Department of Education (USDOE) released new program

integrity regulations. One of the regulations focused on the need for an institution offering

distance education, including practicum, seminars, test proctoring, online courses and degree

studies, to acquire authorization from any state in which it operates. This authorization is

required to maintain eligibility for students of that state to receive federal financial aid.

Institutions have until July 1, 2015, to have obtained the appropriate approvals. Meanwhile, an

institution is required to demonstrate a “good faith” effort to comply in each state in which it

serves students, and states with regulations in place expect that institutions already be in

compliance with their regulations before serving any students in their state.

What This Means

Before accepting enrollments from students residing outside of Texas, or Texas students who

would do the learning outside the state of Texas, exclusively for any form of distance education,

HSU must be in compliance with the distance learning regulations of the states in which students

reside while enrolled. Some states require universities to seek approval before enrolling their

residents, and the approval processes can be expensive and time intensive.

What Hardin-Simmons University Is Doing

HSU continues to work to obtain authorization from other states. However, due to authorization

and review processes associated with some states, we may be limited in our ability to accept

some distance learning course enrollments.

Please contact Provost Office, (325) 670-1210 to inquire about the current status of your state

with regard to this USDOE state authorization requirement. Depending on the status of your state

of residence regarding this requirement, HSU may notify you that you are not eligible to register

for HSU distance education courses. In this case, Hardin-Simmons University will provide

assistance in finding alternatives.