Table of Contents Table of Contents
Previous Page  24 / 154 Next Page
Show Menu
Previous Page 24 / 154 Next Page
Page Background


performance, due to circumstances beyond his/her control, may be given a grade of I. To obtain a

grade in the course, the student must complete all requirements specified by the instructor by the

end of the next long semester (fall or spring) following the date the grade was assigned. Failure to

complete the requirements by this time will result in a grade of F.

The grade of IP is available only when, by design, course work extends beyond the semester or

term in which the course is scheduled. This grade implies satisfactory progress and is used

primarily in internship, travel, and individual research courses. A grade of IP is not counted as an

attempt in calculating grade point average and will convert to a grade of F after five years.

Statute of Limitations on Changes in an Academic Record

The statute of limitations for any change in an academic record is one year from the date of the

closing of the semester in question. Included are such items as grade changes and incompletes.

Note: No student may graduate with an I or IP grade on his/her transcript. Any grade change must

be reported to the Registrar’s Office at least two weeks prior to the end of the semester of

graduation. It is the responsibility of a candidate for graduation to complete any course in which

an Incomplete or In Progress grade was given in sufficient time for the faculty member to grade

the student’s work


Grades of CR and NC

The grade of CR is given for Thesis, Thesis Renewal, and Professional Project. CR denotes

satisfactory progress as determined by the instructor or thesis advisor.

The grade of NC is given for selected courses such as Thesis and Thesis Renewal. NC denotes no

credit due to lack of satisfactory progress as determined by the instructor or thesis advisor.

Note: CR and NC do not count in calculating the student’s grade point average.

Class Attendance

Students, whether present or absent, are responsible for all material presented in or assigned for

courses, and will be held accountable for such material in the determination of course grades.

Absences for athletic or school related participation are counted as any other absence, and all

absences, whether athletic-related or not, should not exceed 25% of the class meetings and/or

laboratory sessions scheduled for a course. Regular and punctual attendance, therefore, is expected

and essential to success in a course.

Accordingly, absence from more than 25% of class meetings and/or laboratory sessions scheduled

for a course (including absences because of athletic participation) is regarded as excessive, and a

grade of F may be assigned as deemed appropriate by the professor.

Grade Reports

Grade reports are posted on HSU Central at the close of each semester and at the end of each

summer term.

Withdrawal During a Semester

A student who finds it necessary to withdraw from the university before the end of the semester

must secure the proper form for withdrawal through the Office of the Registrar. The form requires

approval by the Business and Financial Aid Offices. If procedure is not followed, the student is

automatically assigned a grade of F in all courses. However, no student may withdraw after the

last date of withdrawal specified in the academic calendar.

Acceptable Academic Progress

(Criteria for acceptable academic progress may be superseded by program-specific guidelines.

Please see individual programs for details.) In order to maintain acceptable academic progress,

graduate students must maintain a 3.0 grade point average in all graduate work (when courses are

repeated, only the most recent grade will be used to calculate grade points and semester hours) and