Background Image
Table of Contents Table of Contents
Previous Page  7 / 166 Next Page
Information
Show Menu
Previous Page 7 / 166 Next Page
Page Background

7

Hardin-Simmons University Graduate Catalog

H

istory

of

HSU

Hardin-Simmons University provides the opportunity for a quality education in a Christian

environment for all qualified men and women.

Hardin-Simmons, a doctoral (comprehensive university level V) with colleges of liberal arts

and business, schools of education, music, nursing, science, and theology, a seminary, and a

graduate school, is fully accredited and holds membership in good standing in the appropriate

agencies as listed in this catalog. Graduates have been singularly successful in being admitted

to graduate and professional schools and have been readily employed in business, education,

and professional fields.

Located in Abilene, Texas, Hardin-Simmons has contributed to the development of the West

and helped establish a city and area where cultural, educational, and spiritual values are highly

regarded. Two other church-related universities in the city share with Hardin-Simmons an

interchange of courses, library facilities, and extracurricular activities. A city civic center,

symphony orchestra, three museums, community theatre groups, a county coliseum, and

progressive leadership afford an active cultural environment in a metropolitan population of

125,000.

Founded in 1891 as Abilene Baptist College, renamed Simmons College in honor of the

first major donor, Dr. James B. Simmons, a Baptist minister of New York City, and later

named Hardin-Simmons University in recognition of gifts by Mr. and Mrs. John G. Hardin

of Burkburnett, Texas, the university has become well established with a growing endowment

and modern facilities.

The compact and beautiful campus is known as the Forty Acres. The Rupert and Pauline

Richardson Library, the Frost Center for the Visual Arts, the Logsdon School of Theology

Building and Chapel, the Johnson Building for the Kelley College of Business, the Connally

Missions Center, the Lee Hemphill Music Building, the Elwin L. Skiles Social Sciences

Building, and the Holland Health Sciences Academy Building are among the latest additions

to the campus.

Originally founded by the Sweetwater Baptist Association, the university has been affiliated

with the Baptist General Convention of Texas since 1941.

Throughout its history, Hardin-Simmons University has emphasized religious training and

spiritual values; hundreds of preachers, missionaries, and directors of religious education and

music are among the alumni. The foundation agreement reads in part that the school’s purpose

shall be “To bring young men and women to Christ; to teach them of Christ; to train them

for Christ.”

G

raduate

S

tudies

Graduate study at Hardin-Simmons University was established in 1926 by action of the Board

of Trustees. Graduate programs leading to the degrees of Master of Arts, Master of Business

Administration, Master of Divinity, Master of Education, Doctor (Ed.D.) of Leadership,

Master of Music, Doctor of Physical Therapy, and Master of Science are available. The policies

of the Graduate School are developed by the graduate faculty and administered by the dean of

graduate studies.