• Frequently Asked Questions

    Questions about the Teacher Preparation Program

    1. When should I apply to the Teacher Preparation Program?
      You can apply to Teacher Preparation as soon as you meet all admission requirements. If you are interested in becoming a certified teacher, you should meet with the HSU Certification Officer during your first semester at HSU to file a degree plan and review admission requirement.. The Certification Officer will explain the specifics of the level and/or area of certification for which you have interest. Make an appointment with the Certification Officer by phone or email.
    2. What do I have to do to apply?
      You should come to the Dean's office to get an application. Make an appointment with the Certification Officer. The Certification Officer will verify you have met all standards of proficiency for admission described on the application and that you have achieved a minimum 2.8 gpa. Another portion of the application process involves getting the signatures of three full-time HSU professors, each from a different department, who agree to complete an evaluation form for you. Evaluation forms are included in the application materials and should be distributed to HSU professors who are willing to assist you with this component of the application process.
    3. Do I have to pass the TSI test to be admitted to the Teacher Preparation Program?
      Not necessarily. You must meet the HSU proficiencies in the basic areas of reading, writing, math, and oral communication. The Teacher Education Agency has determined multiple ways for you to demonstrate proficiency in the basic skills, including but not limited to taking the TSI. The application for admission to teacher education describes the various ways you can demonstrate those proficiencies including particular SAT and/or ACT scores in pertinent areas or TSI scores in reading, writing, and math. The Certification Officer will explain the proficiencies to you when you meet together.
    4. How long does it take to be admitted to the Teacher Preparation Program?
      It takes approximately a month from the time you apply. The Teacher Education Council meets once a month. The TEC does not meet during the summer. At the monthly TEC meeting, members review the applications of all students who have (a) completed an application (b) filed a degree plan (c) met the basic proficiency requirements (d) received three satisfactory evaluations from HSU professors (e) submitted a satisfactory essay as described on the application, and (f) earned an overall gpa of 2.80 or higher. You must meet all conditions before you will be considered for admission. You will receive a letter from the Dean's office confirming your admission to Teacher Preparation at HSU along with instructions for creating your TEA account. You should retain all information you receive in your Teacher Preparation acceptance materials for future reference. Once you are admitted, you can begin taking courses with the EDUC prefix.

    Questions about TExES and Practice TExES

    1. When can I take the TExES?
      You can take the TExES in your content field(s) as soon as you complete your coursework in that area or when you score 85% correct on your content field representative form (practice TexES). You can take your professional development TExES (PPR) when you have achieved a score of 85% correct or above on the practice professional development test. ALL graduates from the teacher education program at HSU will be approved by the Administrative Assistant in the Dean’s office on the TEA Online site to take theTExES in their content field and professional development upon graduation whether or not they have ever taken the practice tests and regardless of the scores achieved on representative form practice tests taken. HSU does not own practice tests for all areas of certification. Call 670-1347 to find out if HSU owns your content field test. HSU owns the PPR practice test.
    2. When can I take the representative form practice test?
      You can take the practice test at any time after you have been admitted to Teacher Education and are taking EDUC courses. Schedule a test time with the Dean's office. AH108
    3. What is the fee to take the representative form practice test?
      The practice test requires no fee.
    4. How do I register for the representative form practice test?
      Call or come by AH 108 at least 24 hours before the test is to be administered. The Administrative Assistant in the Dean's office will need your name and the content field or PPR level of practice test you will be taking. The practice TExES may take up to 4 hours, so plan accordingly.
    5. How do I register for the TExES?
      A student may register online at www.texes.ets.org for the TExES certification examination once he/she has been approved with TEA by the Administrative Assistant to the Dean with SBEC. (See #1 above. When can I take the TExES?) To verify your approval to take the test, you may call the Administrative Assistant to the Dean.. The online registration process must be completed by the student once he/she have been approved by the dean's office. You must have a current credit card or debit card for payment.
    6. Which TExES tests do I take?
      That depends on your major. You will take one content test related to your major content field, and you will take the EC-12 PPR. If you are also preparing to teach special education, you will take the special education supplemental test. The Administrative Assistant in the Dean’s office will only provide approval for TExES examinations for which you have been prepared by HSU. After you have your initial teaching certificate, you may register by exam only for any other TExES examination you want to challenge. HSU will not approve you, under any circumstances, to take exams for which HSU did not prepare you.
    7. If I am student teaching remote from HSU, how do I register for the TExES?
      Follow instructions #5 and #6 above.
    8. How and when will I receive my TExES scores?
      TEA will notify you once your scores are posted in yout TEA account. You can access them through the online TEA site. If you do not receive your scores or have questions about them you should call ETS. HSU cannot and will not resolve issues you may have with the administration of the TExES.

    Questions about Student Teaching

    1. When do I apply for student teaching?
      If you plan to student teach in the fall, you need to apply early in the prior spring. The deadline is March 1st. If you plan to student teach in the spring, you need to apply early in the prior fall. The deadline is October 1st.
    2. Can I student teach out of town?
      Yes. Call to make an appointment to meet with the Dean of the College of Human Sciences and Education Studies to get information about the process. The application for out-of-town student teaching is different from the local student teaching application. You will be required to get an endorsement from your content field advisor and pass all practice tests for your certification content fields, PPR, and supplemental areas in order to student teach remote from HSU. You can obtain the endorsement form and out-of-town student teaching application in the Dean's office.
    3. What do I need to do to apply for student teaching?
      Obtain an application from www.esc14.net, AH 108. Complete the application. You will then turn in copies of your AISD application to the Dean’s Office. If you are student teaching out of town, you will need to turn in your completed HSU application and your completed advisor endorsement form. All students MUST register for student teaching through the Dean's Office, AH 108.
    4. When will I find out my student teaching placement?
      If you are student teaching in the fall, you will receive a letter about a week before the fall semester starts that tells you where you have been placed and when you will need to attend orientation. If you are student teaching in the spring, you will receive your letter about mid-December.
    5. Do I have to attend the orientation?
      Yes! Orientation is mandatory for all student teachers that will be working in Abilene or the surrounding Big Country Area. If you are student teaching remote from HSU, you may be required to attend orientation.
  • A Princeton Review Best Western College
  • Council for Christian Colleges & Universities  
  • Center for Student Opportunity: Promoting a College-Bound Culture
  • US News Best Colleges
  • Military Friendly
  • college_of_christian_distinction_badge20172018
  • College Choice Best Christian Colleges and University
  • University and College Accountability Network