An application for this position consists of an HSU Application, a resume and a document detailing your Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (see below). The completed application package should be emailed to Human Resources at
and cc: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Head Basketball Coach - Women (Exempt)
As soon as possible. The review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until a candidate is selected.
HSU Director of Athletics
HSU CHRISTIAN STANDARD REQUIREMENT FOR EMPLOYMENT -
Candidate must profess a Christian Faith, maintain membership in a local congregation, and respect the values and distinctives central to the historically Baptist values of HSU.
: Full-time staff coaching position. Directs and coordinates the activities of the HSU Women's Basketball team. HSU is a member of NCAA Division III and the American Southwest Conference. This is a full-time staff position.
- Occasional moderate lifting required.
- This job is active in nature (pushing, pulling, lifting, moving equipment, etc.)
- Must be able to stand and move for long periods of time while performing office and gym functions.
- Frequent overnight travel required.
- Must be able to work on weekends.
- Must be able to drive an automobile and 15-passenger van.
- This is an Exempt Level Professional Position which often requires extended hours beyond a 40-hour work week, especially during the basketball season and while recruiting.
- Must have undergraduate degree in any discipline; master's degree desired.
- Must have basketball coaching experience at the high school or college/university level.
- Must be familiar with NCAA rules.
- Previous experience in evaluating basketball skills of prospective players/students required.
- Knowledge of developmental needs of the basketball of the basketball team members.
- Must have a knowledge of and understand the physical, technical, tactical and psychological demands of basketball.
- Must understand and apply conditioning principles to improve athletic performance.
- Must be able to develop a program for team members to address their weaknesses and further improve on their strengths.
- Must be able to develop and supervise a training program for the team.
- Must have planning, organizational, administrative, and time management skills. Must be able to apply leadership skills to an existing successful program.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills, be able to relate in a positive manner to team members, other faculty and staff, and alumni and parents.
- Preference for this position will be given to applicants who are professing Christians.
- Provides leadership, direction, coordination, and instruction to the basketball team. Arranges entries into games, tournaments, etc.
- Recruits prospective students/basketball team members. Evaluates prospective HSU basketball players. Visits faculty of various schools/colleges to promote HSU and meet with prospective students/student athletes and parents.
- Develops professional relationships with team members helping them to achieve their goals. Counsels team members in academic, disciplinary, and personal matters; consults with faculty for resolution of problems as required.
- Plans and supervises training programs. Responsible for training basketball players.
- Instructs individual players and the basketball team on how to improve their performance by analyzing their skills, abilities, and providing encouragement.
- Conducts post-game analysis of team/player performance and evaluates strategy.
- Analyzes the progress of players and provides leadership.
- Represents HSU in professional, civic, charity, and alumni events.
- Adheres to guidelines established by departmental policies. Follows the HSU Personnel and Safety Handbooks. Insures compliance with NCAA rules. Adheres to the code of conduct for coaches and athletes.
- Completes related administrative tasks such as transportation, budgeting, and lodging.
- Supervises student coaches and graduate assistants.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KSA's (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
on a separate sheet of paper, complete the KSA information listed below. Using any standard word processing program, please write a paragraph for each KSA listed describing your knowledge, skills, and abilities. This is your opportunity to express your background and qualifications in each area. Relate the KSAs to the Essential Duties when possible. Explain your qualifications from your background, education, current job and/or previous jobs as they relate to each function. Interview decisions will be based on the information provided.
For more information concerning benefits offered to HSU employees, see the
HSU Benefits Summary
on the HSU website.
EEO / ADA STATEMENT:
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, HSU complies with all applicable anti-discrimination laws including those prohibiting discrimination on the basis of age, sex, pregnancy, race, color, national origin, disability, genetic information and military service. HSU is a private university affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas, and may lawfully consider an applicant's religion as a selection criterion. HSU is committed to hiring faculty and staff who share an active Christian faith and fully support HSU's mission.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), HSU provides reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the organization or would change the essential functions of the job. Requests for reasonable accommodation should be directed to Human Resources.