An application for this position consists of an HSU Application, a resume and a document detailing your Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (see below). The completed application package should be emailed to Human Resources at
and cc: email@example.com
Director of Communcations & Content Strategy (Exempt)
As soon as possible
Assistant to the President for University Marketing
Student Workers, Student Interns, Freelancers
HSU CHRISTIAN STANDARD REQUIREMENT FOR EMPLOYMENT -
Candidate must profess a Christian Faith and commitment to Jesus Christ, maintain an active church involvement, and hold the Old Testament and New Testament to be sacred scriptures.
A vital leader in the Office of University Marketing, the Director of Communications and Content Strategy will set and guide the strategy for University communications and marketing content development, including Range Rider, Public Relations and News Media, Social Media, Print and Digital media, and other marketing collateral. The Director will be responsible for aligning the development of communications, relevant messaging, and content with the purpose and mission of the institution, and ensuring effectiveness of branded content to target audiences.
This job is sedentary in nature. Must be able to sit for long periods of time while performing office functions. Occasional light lifting may be required.
40-hours per week is required with additional managerial or administrative duties beyond normal working hours as needed.
Bachelor's Degree from an accredited, four-year college or University with a concentration or major in Journalism, Public Relations, Integrated Marketing, Mass Communication, English, or other related communication field is required
7 years of professional experience in Journalism, PR, or related Communications field is preferred. 3 years of experience in social media management is preferred.
- Strategic Responsibilities
- In collaboration with the Assistant to the President for University Marketing and Global Engagement, The Director will develop content strategies, communications messaging, and other planning in support of rolling out world-class online and offline content experiences.
- Create compelling brand stories and experiences for interactive content across web, social, and mobile platforms using analytics, trends and research.
- Work with members of marketing team to ensure that content is on-brand and consistent in style and tone of voice in content channels, including online, social media, video, and print.
- Conduct detailed content audits and gap analysis to inform content strategies and recommendations.
- Creatively look for opportunities to improve content through periodic team reviews of content.
- Use analytics to inform content priorities, improve content, and improve best practices for intended audiences.
- Develop long-range content communication strategies, campaigns, and media plans. Advance the visibility of the University through deadline-driven earned media, social media, and electronic media placement with special attention to creation and publication of stories amplifying the University's core values and strategic goals through creative communication packages, stories, and concepts.
- Nurture the University's communication efficacy through implementation of a consistent voice and messaging in printed and electronic communication.
- Cultivate, manage, and track relationships with media, social media constituents, and key campus stakeholders.
- Research and interpret analytics, comparative models, and best practices for effective methodologies in identifying and reaching target audiences.
- Collaborative Responsibilities
- Build strong relationships that lead to increased collaboration, brand consistency, and voice across the University.
- Work collaboratively across departments to define content workflows and process.
- Work in collaboration with department colleagues on projects produced through the Office of University Marketing.
- Provide communication consultation, advice, and training for administrators, faculty, and staff who may be contacted for print or broadcast interviews.
- Create and distribute media kits as needed for general branding efforts, special recognitions, directed campaigns, and major events.
- Assist in the coordination and implementation of marketing and advertising research, plans, and purchases.
- Coordinate with, and amplify, the efforts of the Sports Information Director, Enrollment Services, Alumni Relations, and Student Life when appropriate.
- Develop a network of contract writers and producers for the execution of strategic content and public relations responsibilities.
- Dynamic Responsibilities
- Write and edit compelling content and stories in alignment with University goals and strategies.
- Create engaging and relevant content to develop and grow the University's image to support a multi-channel, integrated marketing plan.
- Conceive, write, edit, and distribute timely, compelling, and accurate content for news media, University and academic publications, social media, newsletters, advertisements, general marketing material, and other print, broadcast, and electronic media.
- Oversee Range Rider production, whether executed internally or externally.
- Solicit, organize, manage, and track on-campus media requests including, but not limited to, expert inquiries, on-camera/on-record interviews, news conferences, and crisis communication.
- Provide editorial suggestion for University publications, citations, speeches, projects, and University-wide and departmental reports as directed with special attention to accuracy, grammar, style, and consistency.
- Serve as the primary campus point-of-contact for all media.
- Serve as media and social media contact for distribution of information for inclement weather or emergency situations as part of the HSU Alert system.
- Ensure photographic coverage of events covered for publicity and publication.
- Administrative Responsibilities
- Assist the Office of University Marketing in setting protocols for media relations and social media, and create visual and written models of processes and workflow procedures.
- Supervise, mentor, and coach interns and student workers for the areas of Marketing, Social Media, and Content Strategy.
- Create, maintain, and publish a University Speakers Guide and Experts database.
- Examine and prepare reports related to analytics on social media, earned media exposure, and/or public perceptions on critical issues.
- Direct the development and implementation of an online publication of a University style guide to supplement AP style for use in all University communications and publications.
- Manage the services of outside vendors and freelancers related to the execution of strategic content and public relations responsibilities.
KSA's (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities):
Write a paragraph for each qualification listed below describing your knowledge, skills, and abilities. This is an opportunity to express your background and capacities in each area. Where possible, relate the "Essential Responsibilities & Duties" listed above to the preferred qualifications when possible. Explain credentials from your background, education, current job and/or previous jobs as they relate to your general aptitude for this position.
- Human Relations
- A positive, team-oriented attitude and a strong work ethic are required. Candidates must have the ability to establish and maintain effective and strong relationships with a wide variety of campus constituents as well as external constituents (including media) while sustaining a customer service orientation. Preference for this position will be given to self-motivated individuals with a demonstrated capacity for handling a fast-paced and demanding work environment. Candidates will be vetted through previous employment and character references for their capacity to manage sensitive and confidential information without incident.
- Candidates must be able to clearly comprehend and express concepts orally and in writing and must be able to communicate to internal clients and colleagues effectively. Candidates must have a capacity to follow editorial and style guidelines, with a demonstrated mastery of vocabulary, grammar, and Associated Press style. Preference for this position will be given to individuals with a proven capacity for interpreting an extensive variety of information relating to interpersonal relationships, institutional history, institutional policies and procedures, communications projects, marketing strategy, and advertising. Candidates must be able to translate the human experience into a cohesive, written creation.
- Candidates must have the ability to plan and organize a variety of engagements and projects simultaneously with little supervision. Attention to detail and a strong sense of organization are extremely important. Preferred candidates will have experience in creating and maintaining process and data-driven organizational schemes.
- Computer/Professional Skills
- Candidates must have superior computer skills and competence with Mac operating systems with a demonstrated proficiency in using, and training others to use software, including Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat, as well as social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram. Some experience with website content management systems is preferred. Candidates should have significant experience in interviewing and research, as well as a depth of understanding in writing and distributing media releases and advisories.
- As this leadership position oversees the communication and messaging of the institution's purpose, mission, and values, candidates must actively demonstrate and profess a Christian faith.
For more information concerning benefits offered to HSU employees, see the
HSU Benefits Summary
on the HSU website.
EEO / ADA Statement:
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, HSU complies with all applicable anti-discrimination laws including those prohibiting discrimination on the basis of age, sex, pregnancy, race, color, national origin, disability, genetic information and military service. HSU is a private university affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas, and may lawfully consider an applicant's religion as a selection criterion. HSU is committed to hiring faculty and staff who share an active Christian faith and fully support HSU's mission.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), HSU provides reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the organization or would change the essential functions of the job. Requests for reasonable accommodation should be directed to Human Resources.