An application for this position consists of an HSU Application, a resume and a document detailing your Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (see below). The completed application package should be emailed to Human Resources at
and cc: email@example.com
Assistant Director for University Recreation (Non-Exempt)
June 1, 2018
Dr. Edgar Reed, Director of University Recreation
HSU CHRISTIAN STANDARD REQUIREMENT FOR EMPLOYMENT -
Candidate must profess a Christian Faith, maintain membership in a local congregation, and respect the values and distinctives central to the historically Baptist values of HSU.
: The Assistant Director of University Recreation is responsible for the daily supervision, administration, and development of the fitness center and recreational sports programming. Assists with the management, oversight, and scheduling of facility spaces including the fitness center and intramural fields. Maintain social media as an accurate means of communication with the intramural participants. Work with university stakeholders and the Director to incorporate traditional events and expand offerings with non-traditional events. The Assistant Director supervises all part-time and student employees and reports to the Director of University Recreation.
- This job is active in nature (pushing, pulling, lifting, moving equipment, etc.)
- Must be able to stand and move for long periods of time while performing office and field/gym functions.
- Frequent lifting (up to 30-50 pounds) including but not limited to: trash, bleachers, goals/backstop, general recreation equipment.
- Occasional lifting (up to 80-100 pounds) may be required (ex: weights, dumbbells, etc.) Assistance may be requested when necessary to accomplish these tasks.
- A 40-hour workweek is required.
- Ability to work non-traditional hours, including nights and weekends depending on the time of year
- Subject to work evenings and weekends at the Director's discretion and based on special University events.
- All hours worked beyond 40-hours in a single work week will be compensated at time and a half, per FSLA guidelines.
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution is required. Preferably in a kinesiology/recreation or sport related field
- Master's degree preferred
- Minimum of 2 years experience in a sport/fitness related field. Preferably in a supervisory/managerial role.
- Experience in Facility Management
- Familiarity with current trends and practices within the recreational/fitness profession
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, ability to relate effectively with students and communicate professionally is imperative
Ability to work non-traditional hours, including nights and weekends depending on the time of year
- Current CPR, AED and first aid certifications
- Assist with the overall operation of the fitness center
- Supervise and manage the Coordinator for University Recreation and all Intramural/Recreational activities
- Coordinate and manage all exercise programs and events
- Recruit, hire, train, and schedule student and professional staff
- Ensure fitness and general recreation equipment is maintained properly
- Maintain professional certifications and serve as a resource on fitness education to the campus community
- Create and distribute announcements university-wide to promote student participation and campus engagement via social media, web, print and digital designs, photo and video projects.
- Complete analytical and statistical reports regarding fitness and recreation participation by students and staff
- Collaborate with other departments on educational programming that contributes to a campus-wide wellness program
- Assist the Director of University Recreation in maintaining the operational budget for both the Fitness Center and Recreational Sports programs
- Manage teams, rosters, and the planning and execution of sporting events
- Hire and supervise game officials
- Maintain an intramural handbook and ensure guidelines for participants are met
- Coordinate departmental and divisional meetings
- Oversee all membership accounts and sales
KSA's (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
on a separate sheet of paper, complete the KSA information listed below. Using any standard word processing program, please write a paragraph for each KSA listed describing your knowledge, skills, and abilities. This is your opportunity to express your background and qualifications in each area. Relate the KSAs to the Essential Duties when possible. Explain your qualifications from your background, education, current job and/or previous jobs as they relate to each function. Interview decisions will be based on the information provided.
- Customer Service:
For more information concerning benefits offered to HSU employees, see the
HSU Benefits Summary
on the HSU website.
EEO / ADA STATEMENT:
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, HSU complies with all applicable anti-discrimination laws including those prohibiting discrimination on the basis of age, sex, pregnancy, race, color, national origin, disability, genetic information and military service. HSU is a private university affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas, and may lawfully consider an applicant's religion as a selection criterion. HSU is committed to hiring faculty and staff who share an active Christian faith and fully support HSU's mission.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), HSU provides reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the organization or would change the essential functions of the job. Requests for reasonable accommodation should be directed to Human Resources.