The HSU Round Table
History of the HSU Round Table
Simmons Round Table,
today’s HSU Round Table, was founded in the fall of 1910 by Simmons College
First Lady, Mrs. Lucile Sandefer, to cultivate friendships among faculty wives.
From the first meeting, which was held around Mrs. Sandefer’s round dining room
table, a very extensive movement began. Under her leadership and business
acumen, these industrious ladies undertook projects that would transform and
enhance the rugged frontier campus.
To mention a few of their
initiatives, in 1915 the group purchased and planted 100 pecan trees, many of
which remain on the campus today, and constructed an irrigation system to water
the new plantings. In 1919 when electricity first became available to the
surrounding community, the HSU Round Table convinced the City Council to
install lights on the campus. Their fundraising projects brought the first
concert grand piano to campus, and the early club members sponsored several
concerts. In more recent years, the club placed a sun dial on the campus lawn,
and participated in the Millennial Light Project though the purchase of a light
outside Moody Center.
Over the years, Round
Table has been impacted and influenced by social and cultural changes. Today
membership is extended to wives of administration and staff members. Yet, for a
century the organization has remained true to Mrs. Sandefer’s vision. The
mission of the organization is to continue to serve the students and HSU family
as a whole, while producing an environment that facilitates friendships among
The Purple Iris
The purple iris
represents wisdom, knowledge, honor, and dignity—attributes of Round Table
founding members which continue to be valued by members today.
The HSU Round Table Virtue Award
The HSU Round Table Award shall be presented to a woman who has exhibited exemplary leadership within her sphere of influence, who has exhibited fiscal, emotional or physical support to the ongoing of Hardin-Simmons University, and who represents Christian values and beliefs foundational to Hardin-Simmons University.