Scholarships & Awards
The HSU Social Work Program has numerous awards and scholarship that are awarded annually at the Social Work/Sociology Banquet. These awards and scholarships have specific criteria for recipient selection. These are not awards or scholarships a student can apply for, but rather recipients are chosen by the Social Work and Sociology faculty based on the respective award or scholarship criteria. If you have questions about any of these awards or scholarships, please contact the Social Work office at 325-670-1281. Note that other scholarship information is available through the Financial Aid Office at 325-670-1206
- J.L. Cole Social Work Scholarship: the recipient of this scholarship must be a social work major, possess strong social work values and ethics, completing Social Work Practice I course and showing high leadership and academic promise
- Dan Cooper Excellence in Research Annual Endowed Award: the recipient of this award must be a graduating senior, social work major having displayed outstanding achievement in social work research.
- Doris S. Thornton Alumni Social Work Award: the recipient of this award must be a graduating senior, social work major with transcending competence in social work practice and achieving outstanding academic achievement.
- Lucius Walker Social Justice Award: the recipient of this award is a social work major who promotes and advocates for social justice through their activities in the community, on campus or in their church.
- Greg Wilson Award for Academic Achievements in Sociology and Social Work: the recipient of this scholarship must be a Sociology or Social Work major with high academic achievement in their field of study.
- Everett E. Woods and Orabeth K. Woods Foundation Endowment Scholarship: this scholarship recipient is a junior social work major with the highest overall GPA.
- Everett E. Woods and Orabeth K. Woods Social Work Scholarship: the recipient of this scholarship is a minority student and social work major who displays outstanding academic excellence and overall achievement in social work.