Hardin-Simmons University (HSU) invites applications and nominations for the position of Police Officer. Review of candidate materials will begin on June 23, 2014, and will continue until the position is filled. The candidate chosen for this position will begin employment no later than August 1, 2014.
Hardin-Simmons University is a community dedicated to providing excellence in education enlightenend by Christian faith and values. Located in Abilene, Texas, the university was founded in 1891 by a dedicated group of ministers, ranchers, and merchants. HSU continues its commitment to developing the mind and nurturing the spriritual life of its students. Affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas since 1941, HSU provides an academically challenging undergraduate liberal arts education and advances scholarly growth by offering specialized graduate and professional degree programs. Combining its commitment to academic excellence with a concern for the development of the total person with a distinctive Christian perspective, Hardin-Simmons University serves students through quality educational programs within the classroom as well as outside the classroom through an active student development program.
The primary job of Police officers is to provide a safe and secure environment for all members of the University community through alert and thorough preventative patrol. In addition, they must be equally concerned with the courteous delivery of a wide variety of services consistent with the needs of students, faculty, staff and general public.
To effectively accomplish these purposes, all officers must have a clear understanding of their powers, duties, responsibilities, and limitations, and conduct themselves at all times with courtesy and an attitude of service.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Preserve the peace and resolve any conflict within the University area.
- Create and maintan a sense of safety and security within the University community.
- Assist all persons in danger of physical harm or victims of crime, accidents, or sudden illness.
- Take effective measures to reduce opportunities for criminal activity within the University area.
- Identify criminal offenders, making arrests as necessary, and participate insubsequent court or discipline proceedings.
- Respond to initial complaints of crime and incidents restoring calm, taking necessary action, and initiating appropriate reports.
- Report any security problems, unsafe conditions, fire or safety hazards for correction to their supervisor.
- Prepare all reports accurately, legibly, and completely.
- Facilitate the movement of vehicular traffic on and around the University enforcing moving traffic and parking regulations.
- Courteously assist all persons in the University area seeking directions, information, or assistance.
- Acknoledge and respond without delay to calls for service.
- Ensure that all prisoners are treated within the requirements of law and department policy.
- Enforce University rules and regulations, local ordinances, and state law in a fair and equitable manner.
- Perform other duties as directed by appropriate authority.
- Certified Texas Peace Officer
- Five years of Texas law enforcement experience
- Good physical condition
- Preferably lives in Abilene, TX
- Strong Christian values
Salary is open. Applications should include: HSU employment application, Police Officer Supplemental Application; a letter describing the candidate's interest in, and qualifications for the position; a statement of the candidate's Christian faith; a resume; the names, addresses (including email), and telephone numbers of at least five references. All names will be kept in confidence, except for those candidates invited to campus for interviews.
All nominations and applications should be in Micorsoft Word format and mailed electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org and carbon copy email@example.com.